• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Nibbles

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
New bird mom here. My husband and I just got the cutest little three month old cinnamon GCC and we love her to death. She loves to nibble and she is so smart. She has learned not to bite hard when grooming our fingers, ears, noses, eyebrows, etc. However, she continuously latches onto our lips, especially my husband's. She is so gentle with everything else, but she is too hard on the lips and won't let go. We make a high-pitched "eep!" similar to what her sisters did when they played when she was younger. She always let's go right away when we do that except with the lips.

Does anyone know why she might do this and how we can get her to stop? 20170603_145732.jpg

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
There's another thread about this in the same forum, but with a senegal. Every time the bird does it, correct the behavior (the eep seems to be working) and immediately give the bird something that is ok to chew like a foot toy the bird enjoys or something similar.

George does lip nibbling but he's so very gentle I've never had a problem with it.

Welcome to the (best parrot) forum (on the web). There are very knowledgable people here. :)

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
The eep works for everything except the lips. It's very hard to get her to let go and she isn't always interested in a toy when she can have lips. Right now, we're trying to reward her for not biting our lips. It's too soon to tell, but hopefully it works. We are still looking for a treat she likes.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
If she continues to do that even with being deterred, I'd not allow her on the shoulder for a time. Maybe play a game on a flat surface or playgym with her instead.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine like to bite ears. When I have it on my shoulder and it bites my ear I say "No Bites" - I say the same thing to the cat so hopefully I'm reinforcing everyone. If it happens again, I put it back on the play perch and ignore for a few minutes. Then back on the shoulder. Another bite and longer time on the play perch without my attention. This seems to be working, but needs constant reinforcement. He's only 4 months old, so it's a work in progress.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
That is what I do with most of mine too...try to make the noises that their bird friends would make if they've gotten too rough. It doesn't work with all of them...usually those out to kill you with a bite. Makes them think they are doing their job!

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
I have determined that the lips thing is a game she likes. My husband started this by kissing her and she kissed back. He may have put her whole head in his mouth, lion-tamer style. She loved this and actually pulled his mouth open with her sharp little talons. He has worked with her and now she just likes to put her beak on his lips when he vibrates them. With me, she is usually initating a game of tag. She also likes us to chew her chew toys with her. She will press them up against our lips. It's very adorable.

I have also used the witholding attention method. It works well with her because she really likes to play with us.

Thanks for all the advice!