• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Nesting Behavior?

Russel

Moving in
Real Name
Russel
I recently purchased a pair of Green Cheeks they are doing fine so far. I have provided them with a nesting box and have been watching for breeding or nesting behaviors. About 4 days ago the female began spending almost all of her time in the box. And if she is out of it and sees me she immediately runs inside. She was not scared of me before she started doing this and I don't think she is now. I have peeked in the box and I don't see any eggs. From what I can tell all she does in there is scrape her beek against the walls. Is this her way of preparing it for her eggs? I haven't noticed any breeding behaviors but she has become very secretive lately. Any advice about breeding Conures is appreciated. I have breed and handraised budgies before. And I've owned a GCC before but never breed them. I'm trying to do everything right so any comment are helpful. Unless they have to do with your disapproval of me breeding them. There are not any other breeders or ways to get Conures near me without having them delivered or driving hours away. So I feel safe saying there is a lack of them in my area and I would like to show others in my area what marvelous companions they are.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If you are looking for advise on how to breed your parrots, you are probably in the wrong place. Most people here will advise that you consider not breeding the birds yourself, as you are already aware.

That being said, how old are your birds? Age is important because young parents, especially young first timers, tend to have more problems and they will likely need more assistance. Do you have supplies for hand-feeding? Do you intend to hand-raise the babies or allow the parents to feed them?

Speaking of the parents, have they been vet checked for any health problems? You will want to confirm that both parrots are in good health and not carrying any communicable diseases or genetic defects before breeding, both to protect the parents and any potential offspring from preventable health problems.

What are they currently eating? Laying eggs and raising young puts a high strain on the birds, so maintaining a high level of nutrition is vitally important throughout the breeding season.

What kind of bedding are you using in the nestbox? You will want to add the bedding BEFORE your female starts to lay her eggs and occasionally replace the bedding, especially if it becomes visibly soiled. Soft clean bedding is important to protect the eggs from breakage and to help keep the babies comfortable and warm in the nest.