• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Mutations

Ethel

Moving in
Real Name
Connie Johnson
I have 3 female conures, a pineapple, a yellow-sided, and a cinnamon. I have a male Green cheek split to cinnamon
I am looking to have some turquoise babies plus others. Would I be farther ahead to buy a turquoise male or female.
Not sure if that would even produce a turquoise baby. Or what might I get.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have 3 female conures, a pineapple, a yellow-sided, and a cinnamon. I have a male Green cheek split to cinnamon
I am looking to have some turquoise babies plus others. Would I be farther ahead to buy a turquoise male or female.
Not sure if that would even produce a turquoise baby. Or what might I get.
@Monica @Sparkles! woud be best to advise

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Hopefully one of our more experienced members will reply, but as I understand it, turquoise is a recessive mutation. The only way to guarantee turquoise offspring is to start with 2 turquoise parents. As for non-turquoise parents, you would need to know if any carry the turquoise gene to know whether turquoise chicks would be possible. Both parents need to carry at least one copy of the turquoise gene, but even then you are not guaranteed turquoise babies.

Here's a link that illustrates it nicely.

Ethel

Moving in
Real Name
Connie Johnson
Hopefully one of our more experienced members will reply, but as I understand it, turquoise is a recessive mutation. The only way to guarantee turquoise offspring is to start with 2 turquoise parents. As for non-turquoise parents, you would need to know if any carry the turquoise gene to know whether turquoise chicks would be possible. Both parents need to carry at least one copy of the turquoise gene, but even then you are not guaranteed turquoise babies.

Here's a link that illustrates it nicely.
Thank you for this info. That is what I kinda thought, but wasnt real sure.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@Momof3litt has it down.

Now, you could get a bird that has turquoise... and produce offspring that are split turquoise.... but then it would be recommended to breed these offspring to another bird that also carries the gene....

If you got a visual turquoise and paired to a non-turquoise bird, all offspring would be split turquoise. If the bird you got is split turquoise, paired to a non-turquoise, then it's 50/50 whether or not a chick is split turquoise.

Ethel

Moving in
Real Name
Connie Johnson
@Momof3litt has it down.

Now, you could get a bird that has turquoise... and produce offspring that are split turquoise.... but then it would be recommended to breed these offspring to another bird that also carries the gene....

If you got a visual turquoise and paired to a non-turquoise bird, all offspring would be split turquoise. If the bird you got is split turquoise, paired to a non-turquoise, then it's 50/50 whether or not a chick is split turquoise.
This is 2 females

Attachments