• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure mutation outcome

Emma181

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Emma Smith
Hello I have a pineapple turquoise green cheek conure female and a male normal green cheek conure what outcomes will I get in the clutch?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Do you know anything about the visually normal male's parentage? Were they also normal?

Because your male is going to make all the difference in that pairing. If you don't know anything about his parentage, the outcome will be a big question mark.

Pineapple coloring means the female has the mutation for cinnamon and yellow-sided. Both of those mutations are sex-linked. She will give one copy of the mutation to any male offspring and no copies to the female offspring.

If your male is not split for any recessive mutations, the male offspring will be split to cinnamon & yellow-sided, but visually normal. And all the females will be normal with no hidden mutations (not split).

If you male is split to cinnamon, you might get some cinnamons of either gender. If he is split to yellowsided, you could get yellow-sided offspring. If he is split to both, you will potentially get a mix of yellow sided, cinnamon, and pineapple offspring, along with some normals.

And if he is split to something else, like dilute or turquoise, then the outcome will depend on if your female is also split for those mutations. They are not sex-linked, so she might be carrying some hidden mutations too. But unless you have reason to suspect a split, based on the bird's parentage or past breeding history, I would just stick to what you can see.

In that case ... most likely outcome is 100% normal offspring with no visual mutations.

Last edited:

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I just noticed that your female is also turquoise. Not sure how I missed that the first time around. Doh! :facepalm:

The most likely outcome doesn't change - all offspring will probably end up looking visually normal.

But if the female is turquoise, she will give one copy of this mutation to her offspring. Turquoise is recessive, but it is not a sex-linked mutation so gender doesn't matter. If the male is split to turquoise, you could get some turquoise babies, because both parents will be able to contribute a copy of the recessive mutation to the offspring. But if he doesn't carry any turquoise, then all the babies will be normal-looking birds split to turquoise. They will not visually express the mutation.

Fun Fact - if your male was a pineapple and your female was normal, the resulting offspring would be a mix of normal and pineapple. Any pineapple babies would be female. Any normal-looking babies would be male - and the males would all be split to cinnamon and yellow-sided. So you would be able to visually sex your babies.

Pretty cool, huh? :D

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
What @Destiny said!

If your male isn't split for any mutations, you'll get all normal offspring split turqouise, all males split opaline cinnamon!