• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Conure laying eggs

Dilla66

Moving in
My pineapple conure started laying eggs (due to male activity) and I’m wondering how long it takes to lay an egg? She laid her first egg 48 hours ago (the egg appeared to be healthy). She has an ‘egg butt’, and she is acting normal for the most part.

I’m starting to get worried that her egg might be bound. I’m currently giving her calcium and her diet is 70% pellets and 30% seeds and fruits.
I’m just lost for the most part, her getting fertilized was a complete accident and I’m not trying to lose her.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They will lay with or without the male, they also will lay regardless of fertilization. I will tag a few people to maybe help you with some information on the eggs, her dietary needs while laying and also on things you can do to lessen the chances she will get nesty. You can boil the egg now and let it cool then give it back to your bird- it is best to boil the egg early on to stop the embryo developing if you are not set up and prepared for breeding and taking over handraising if needed.

@Zara @Mockinbirdiva @Laurie @PoukieBear all these members (and more) really know their stuff when it comes to breeding birds and their health needs etc.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :)

She laid her first egg 48 hours ago
Eggs are laid every 24-48 hours until the clutch is complete (sometimes that can be just one egg).
If you are sure you see she has an egg there and hasn´t laid today, I would take her to the vet to have it checked out.

I’m currently giving her calcium and her diet is 70% pellets and 30% seeds and fruits.
Some vegetables, especially rich those in calcium, would be better to offer with just a little fruit. Things like carrots, bok choy, green carrot tops, brocolli, dill, parsley, sesame seeds are all good sources of calcium.

Also important to be sure she is getting time to fly (exersize).

They will lay with or without the male, they also will lay regardless of fertilization.
Exactly. She would have laid eggs sooner or later with or without a male, it can´t be avoided.

her getting fertilized was a complete accident
I second Shezbugs advice to boil the egg that was laid (allow it to cool) and put it back where you found it. Don´t just remove it.

For now monitor her closely, she should lay that egg today (if there is an egg), if not, then it´s time to go to the vet.
I would start calling around and seeing where you would be able to go, explain to them what is going on and that should she not lay today, would you be able to be seen. I know some vets are quite backed up right now, so you may end up needing to go to an emergency clinic.

Wishing you all the best!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
You've been given good information and advice already. I did want to ask though since you mentioned it "(due to male activity)"....is she kept in a cage with a male and you've seen them mating? Where did she lay the first egg? Is there a nest box in the cage?