• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

conure laid an egg

flockof.4

Meeting neighbors
So my green cheek conure is just over 4 years old. She just turned 4. She's never laid an egg before and I'm kind of panicking because I don't know what to do. She often puts her tail up against toys and everything and makes this screeching type of sound and I try to discourage it but she does it against literally everything in her cage, even the sides of it. I've taken toys out to stop it and she does it against the sides of her cage. I just came home to an egg at the bottom of her cage. I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

I have a presumed to be male conure but at most they just snuggle up to each other and preen each other. They can't really tolerate each other otherwise. I've never seen them do anything else.

I know egg laying can lead to a lot of issues so I'm panicking. I don't know what to do. I thought I could look to see if it was fertile right off the bat but when I looked it up, apparently you have to wait a few days. When I did put it up to a flashlight, I didn't see anything in it though. I don't want to encourage this. I need help. I'm so confused on what to do. I don't want to leave the egg in her cage but I saw that you shouldn't take them out of the cage because that can encourage more egg laying. She doesn't have any type of nesting thing and there's no dark spots in her cage.

When I opened up her cage, she jumped right out. She doesn't seem to care that much about it as of right now.

I need help.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Take the egg and boil it, let it cool down, then out it back where you found it. You can do it while she is out of the cage flying so she won't notice. I realise you posted this thread over 12 hours ago, but that's ok, there's still time.
Boiling the eggs makes sure there's no chance of accidental chicks, and by returning the egg it will avoid her re-laying the egg.

Here is a good link with some things to watch out for during the egg laying process, have read and save the link;