• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Just Won't Stop Biting

Avi128

Moving in
Hi, I've recently gotten Kiwi, a green cheek conure, I've had him for 2 weeks now (he's 5 months old) and he has adjusted well and has been a joy to be with. However, anytime I put my hands near him, he will run towards them and try to bite. I let him adjust to his new surroundings for about a week, I then fed him through the cage bars and from my palm and it was going well but he still always tries to bite my hand. I've moved on to step up training and he has been relentless, he has broken skin through thick gloves several times and won't let go when he bites. I can consistently get him to step up to a wooden perch but he then runs towards my hands and tries to bite. I've tried putting him back in his cage and leaving him alone but he still continues once I let him out again. I'm trying to be patient with him and going at a slow pace but I'm unsure as to how I can stop him from being aggressive. I don't know much about his previous owner or history.
Any help would be appreciated. :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sounds like you are going to fast for him. Can you try to just open up his cage door and let him out on his own terms? What does he do then?

Avi128

Moving in
Sounds like you are going to fast for him. Can you try to just open up his cage door and let him out on his own terms? What does he do then?
He comes out himself pretty quickly, most of the time, he will climb onto the top of his cage and run around but he may sometimes fly to a table and sit there. He seems pretty comfortable right now but he just really wants to bite my hand.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There is no bird in the world that adjusts well in one week. Perhaps in 3 months of positive reinforcement you may have "earned" enough trust to not be seen as a threat (which you are now). Patience is the operative word here. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He comes out himself pretty quickly, most of the time, he will climb onto the top of his cage and run around but he may sometimes fly to a table and sit there. He seems pretty comfortable right now but he just really wants to bite my hand.
I would just let him do that and take your hands out of the equation for now :) keep treating through the bars if he takes it nice. Right now you want to teach him that you don't mean him harm and that you respect him. Birds usually respond well to respect :)

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Yes take hands out of the equation. Using positive reinforcement, try a T perch (then he can't run down it). Maybe sleeves over your arms if he's willing. Go from there.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
To a bird those hands are the enemy, he has to learn to trust that they won't hurt him, Let him come out on his own , once he out give him a treat & praise him-you want to enforce positive behavior. if he flies to another area use a perch put him back and praise him with no treat-that is a continual effort until he learns he is allowed out but to stay on the cage. When he stays on the cage walk over periodically hand him a treat & praise-again enforcing positive behavior. He is very young and needs time to trust you. You are raising a child, each stage of age will bring something different.