• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure is being naughty, is this normal?

ennvi

Moving in
Real Name
Carlisle
Hello! First time bird owner, so sorry if this is an obvious thing. My 5 month old conure has decided that he no longer wants to listen to commands, even if he sees a treat sometimes. He's also started biting harder and totally ignoring me. He was very good with commands and never bit, is this a phase or could I have done something wrong?

Only thing i can think of is that i just upgraded his cage, so maybe he's just acting weird because his territory has changed? any advice on how i can get him to stop being a brat lol

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Using the words command and birds in the same sentence is kinda like making a funny joke.
You can’t command a bird to do anything. You need to ask for a behaviour and have a reward that is great enough that your bird is willing to offer the behaviour in exchange for the treat.
Have you had a read through some of the tips for training in the training court forum? I think it could be helpful.

ennvi

Moving in
Real Name
Carlisle
Using the words command and birds in the same sentence is kinda like making a funny joke.
You can’t command a bird to do anything. You need to ask for a behaviour and have a reward that is great enough that your bird is willing to offer the behaviour in exchange for the treat.
Have you had a read through some of the tips for training in the training court forum? I think it could be helpful.
oh i know lol, i have a reward that he's accepted and worked for previously. I have read through it all and it has helped a lot in the past, he's just stopped wanting to listen and i'm not sure why

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Might be time to back off or do something new. Find something fun to do instead. Try to find something he enjoys - new toys, new treats, new tricks, whatever.

There's no use trying to train if he isn't cooperating, especially if you are getting a clear "no" from the bird, like lunging or biting.

ennvi

Moving in
Real Name
Carlisle
Might be time to back off or do something new. Find something fun to do instead. Try to find something he enjoys - new toys, new treats, new tricks, whatever.

There's no use trying to train if he isn't cooperating, especially if you are getting a clear "no" from the bird, like lunging or biting.
yeah, when he expresses that hes not interested i back off, it's just weird that hes suddenly so resistant. maybe I'll try a new treat so spice stuff up