• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

conure in clothes

dharper224

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Daniel
How can i teach my sun conure to go into my shirts and other clothes?

lillie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
lillie
Step 1: don’t! There’s a post somewhere on here talking about how that encourages nesting behavior, which, in turn, encourages hormonal and mating behavior

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Whew! From your title I thought you were going to try and dress your conure. Your sun may decide to try to climb into your shirt on his or her own. Our sun Tikki will do that every now and then and so does one of our gccs. We didn't teach them to do it, they each tried it and thought it was fun but don't do it all the time. Beni the gcc prefers climbing up the inside of sleeves and snuggling or peeking out by the shirt neckline. I haven't found it makes them nesty but then both are males.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
NB: To all, if you DO allow your fid inside your top make sure you are wearing all the appropriate undergarments; they will use anything that feels like a knob to hold on to and nails do scratch. :bvryafd: It is a "no holds barred".:rnfrt:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Since accidents can happen, it's not a bad thing to not encourage.... I mean, it's cute and all, but I'm perfectly fine that none of my birds love to burrow into clothes!

My previous cat *loved* to burrow into blankets that were piled up. There were a few times I'd go to sit down on one such pile and immediately hear a *meeooww!*! :o: A bird might not make a noise.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
As I have said before, Walgreens loves me!! Valentine goes in my t- shirt but if I let her she would be there all day. One thing, get into the habit of having 'bird clothes' to change into if you are going to interact with her if not you wont have any good clothes left. When they are ready they do it by themselves.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Bobbie (Amazon) always tries to go down my T-shirt, but I try to discourage it as it is only encouraging nesting behaviour which is really not good for the bird, year round. Kobe loves to dive into clothes in my wardrobe, but again, it encourages nesting behaviour/hormones, and with Kobe that means biting and attacking me. So no more of that!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The only bird we have that tries to go under our clothes is Buzzard. He likes to gently beak along the collars of my shirts and sometimes pokes his head in! :confused: Thankfully I know he's just looking for bra straps to chew, but it's discouraged regardless. :naughty:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The only bird we have that tries to go under our clothes is Buzzard. He likes to gently beak along the collars of my shirts and sometimes pokes his head in! :confused: Thankfully I know he's just looking for bra straps to chew, but it's discouraged regardless. :naughty:
This is one of Burt’s favourite things to do and you can guarantee that after two minutes of collar/hem inspection his head will disappear looking for bra or singlet straps! :lol:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Parrotlets can be cuddly like this. I have even heard people refer to them as "pocket parrots, who will sit in your pocket for hours" :cautious: .... However. I discourage this. It is too dangerous for the little birds. We are very big organisms compared to them and crushing is a possibility. I have read a heartbreaking story of someone losing their bird from sitting on them because the bird was in a blanket on the couch. Or even the bird was climbing on the back of their shirt and then they sat down on the couch, not realising the bird was there. :( Poor birds and poor owners who lost their little best friends that way.

My parrotlets will climb into my hair and Neptune likes to push himself into the space between my ponytail and scalp.. this can also be dangerous, but I do know where he is.

If I were you I would try and discourage too much of this type of clothing adventuring. It is cute, don't get me wrong, but risks of accidents and raging hormones are not worth it.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
As I have said before, Walgreens loves me!! Valentine goes in my t- shirt but if I let her she would be there all day. One thing, get into the habit of having 'bird clothes' to change into if you are going to interact with her if not you wont have any good clothes left. When they are ready they do it by themselves.
My husband has what he calls Tango shirts. They are artfully made with lots of little holes :p

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
My husband has what he calls Tango shirts. They are artfully made with lots of little holes :p
Fashionably "distressed" human wear at a discount price. I suspect many of us have what my hubby calls "bird shirts".