• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Conure hurt his toe?

Taiyaki

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello!

I'm new to these forums, and actually I've never posted on any forum before, but I felt I really needed to right now. Avian avenue has been really helpful in the past couple of years while I've had my bird.

About 3 days ago I noticed that my green cheek conure is keeping one of his back toes curled in the front (I attached a photo below for better explanation). I'm really tight on money at the moment and cannot spend it on taking him to the vet, especially since I just took him 2 weeks ago.

He still uses that foot and walks normally, climbs, flies. And sometimes he places the toe normally, but most of the time he keeps it in front. From what I've noticed, he does feel the toe and he can ever so slightly move it. But most of the time he avoids using it, even when climbing or gripping my finger. He has always had a fairly rich diet with fruits and vegetables, but also seeds (which I know are bad). I've been recently converting him to a pellet diet.

2 weeks ago I took him to the vet for a blood test which was necessary, and his bruised foot just healed about a week ago. Coincidentally, his toe problem is on the same foot that they drew blood from. I thought it might be due to that, but it's been 2 weeks, maybe even a little more. It seems unlikely.

I was thinking of waiting it out for now, at least for a week or so because it might get better? Do any of you have advice on this? I have no idea what to do to help him or if this is a serious condition or anything...

photo_2017-06-23_10-55-58.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

That doesn't look like a 'moving it or keeping it forward', from the pic I have to guess that toe is broken at the joint to the foot. Waiting it out won't do anything and it may be painful - remember birds do not show pain or illness, by nature they hide injuries so not to be left behind by the flock... Call your vet and explain the injury, depending on how long it has healed, they may be able to splint it and hopefully it heals properly or they may need to remove it. But waiting and seeing what happens is not the best option for your bird.

sunconures

Meeting neighbors
I understand that you are tight in money, but a vet call wouldn't do any harm. Explain it to them and see if they think it is urgent or not. Does he/she flinch when you touch it? Is it hot? Keep us updated, and good luck!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
And you might be able to send the pic

Taiyaki

I called the vet today and spoke with someone there, I explained everything and they said that it could be a hematoma due to the shot he got previously, and that if it turns out to be their fault I would get the check up for free. I also sent them the photo afterwards.
Well, in the end they're not sure what it is exactly, but they said that since he's eating and flying and acting normal, that I should leave him like this, since birds can apparently live their whole life like this without a care. They said it's a good sign that he isn't nibbling at his foot or showing any dietary changes or other bad signs. So in that case his toe would probably remain like this his whole life.
I do still have to option to bring him in, in which case they would do an x-ray to make sure if the bone is broken or fractured or anything, and if it is they would put a bandage around his toe to keep it in place while it heals. But she said that even if they do that, there's a chance that it might not work and still go back to how it is now.

So... decisions decisions. I'm not sure yet what I'll do but I think I'm still leaning towards getting an x-ray... maybe it's the best decision in the long run?

(And also, thank you for all of the helpful comments!)

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I think I'd want an X-ray too. I'd be afraid if it's broken it might hurt having a jagged edge in there. She doesn't sound like it does though

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thats bent forward so it might have gotten dislocated or broken. I don't think the foot can willingly be held like that.

Guess you have a decision to make & the vet does give some advise but it had not been long after the vet visit that it happened but does a hemotoma change the position of the foot? It seems that is a sort of clot. Perhaps the clot left the foot without enough blood & it lost nerve function or it could have died but its still pink so appears ok.

Hope its OK

Taiyaki

Well I don't think the nerve is dead because he can still move the toe a bit. Sometimes he manages to grip onto my finger normally (with 2 toes in front and 2 in back) and he doesn't seem bothered or in pain being in that position either. So it's odd...
The blood was taken from a little spot around the joint (in between that toe and the rest of the foot). So it could be likely that it's a blood clot.

The vet is closed at the moment so I'll have to call them monday morning to book an appointment.