• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Head Bobbing

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
hey i just was wondering if any other conure owners know why their conures head bob? magoo likes to sit on his boing or really anywhere and will bob his head up and down, forward and back, side to side either really slow or really fast. sometimes he bobs his head fast into his toys and stuff and makes his beak tap the cage bars and such. does he want something from me? he seems to get excited when he does it and stares right at me and sometimes will eventually start his conure strut to show how big and bad he is.

birdle

Anne I sure hope he likes me he's spent his whole life with me, I just was wondering as he seems to do is when hes happy and sometimes when hes really pissed! whatever it means it makes me laugh every time

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yep head bobbing is normal as long as it isn't lots of head bobbing with regurgitation or like a shake. In those instances you could be looking at a yeast infection, ear infection or neurological issues. Giggie and Zia do mini head shakes that Dr. O thought may be associated with mama hen behavior but initially worried it was neurological with Giggie.

birdle

Yep head bobbing is normal as long as it isn't lots of head bobbing with regurgitation or like a shake. In those instances you could be looking at a yeast infection, ear infection or neurological issues. Giggie and Zia do mini head shakes that Dr. O thought may be associated with mama hen behavior but initially worried it was neurological with Giggie.
yea no regurgitations or shaking he does it for attention i am pretty sure i always look when he starts banging things with his beak so i look at him :D

Thatdude596

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ryan
My 6 month old sun does it. I think he does it when excited, happy, or wants something. My two yr old never does it but flutters his wings rapidly when he wants picked up! :lol:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Note that greenies as well as most conures have either a flash of color on their head or a solid colored head. It my opinion, it is a way of getting another bird's attention and when he is bobbing his head to you, he wants your attention. Observing Boca and Pichu has really made me understand how important this head bobbing is in their communication. I have started answering their head bobbing with bobbing my fist in response and they get very excited and come to me right after I 'answer' their invitation head bob.

I know very little about conures as my greenies are the first ones I have ever had. But I also have seen cock cockatiels use head bobbing as an attention getting behavior. I started using the fist bobb to answer my tiels and they would bobb back at me and then fly to me. I see the same thing with the greenies. I always wondered why the cock tiels had bright red and yellow patches on their faces and when you see them head bobbing for attention, it becomes very obvious.

I have begun to believe that head bobbing with my greenies is a social greeting and an invitation to interact with them. I haven't read much about wild greenies, but I look forward to reading about their wild behaviors.

birdle

very interesting lois thanks for the info, i also believe that the head bobbing means he wants attention and most of the time he does it when he is overexcited and as soon as i notice him bob his head he will start screaming and swaying back and forth. that i know is aggressive but he sways so much because every time he does it i reinforce it by giving him attention as it's funny.

Thatdude596

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ryan
very interesting lois thanks for the info, i also believe that the head bobbing means he wants attention and most of the time he does it when he is overexcited and as soon as i notice him bob his head he will start screaming and swaying back and forth. that i know is aggressive but he sways so much because every time he does it i reinforce it by giving him attention as it's funny.
Sorry but that's not a aggressive at all! The head bobbing get the attention. The swaying and letting out a scream or two is normal is excitement. Aggressiveness is puffing up, eyes pin, and a bite or lunge

birdle

lol, yes it is agressive when they do the conure sway and strut. they are telling you to GO AWAY. you can't see magoos eyes pin, in fact i have never seen any conures eyes pin, they are so dark. he puffs his little cheeks up and his back so it looks like hackles. now with me if i come over while magoo is swaying he will stop and instantly want pets. with anyone else is a different story.

Sorry but that's not a aggressive at all! The head bobbing get the attention. The swaying and letting out a scream or two is normal is excitement. Aggressiveness is puffing up, eyes pin, and a bite or lunge

Thatdude596

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ryan
Hmm well that goes to show how same species act totally different. Mine sway n bob and let out a chirp when excited. I haven't seem really any aggressiveness in either of our conures. The older has only bitten once and that's due to him being afraid when the new guy came. He flew to my wife and the older one got scared and bit my wife's finger when she was picking hi up quickly. Didn't bleed

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Gussie has a variety of bobs, struts, and sways. I call the sway "The Stevie Wonder" and the strut "The Mick Jagger". She also beak taps on my iPad screen. I always respond in kind. I see nothing aggressive in her moves. When she's feeling aggressive there is NO DOUBTabout the mood! She lets her beak do the talking :meh:

birdle

haha your conure sounds like mine, however if he gets going in his sway and you get close and youre not me he will lash out at you trying to bite and if he grabs you omg :o: he grinds and holds on very hard especially if you are a male he doesn't know. but everyone thinks his sway is cute so they learn the hard way :D
thatdude596 i also don't think my conure has ever made me bleed. but my old cockatiel had quite the bite and once bit straight thru my thumb nail.

Nyx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Randi
My GCC alice does those things when she is happy, excited, and in a silly mood :p it's so funny to watch, and sometimes she repeats my laughing while she does it haha

PburghsMom

Meeting neighbors
Hi all. I have had my GCC for almost 6wks. “Pittsburgh” is 6mos. He/she bobs with excitement and joy. We are still getting use to each other and I allow the time and space. Today however I was singing and talking to Pittsburgh and it was just different. Head bobbing and excitement and he/she loved the music. Call me over excited but this day definitely felt different then any of our “trust” sessions. When aggression appears Pittsburgh turns his/her back to me and has this funny lil growl and then of course biting.

Attachments