• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Conure has strokes every couple of weeks, vet says he is healthy

Soupik

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone,

My sun conure has strokes every couple of weeks. I think it has happened 5 times now. It always seems to happen during the night, because me and my wife have never seen it happen. We hear him fall and when we go to him, he is at the bottom of his cage not moving much and his left foot seems numb.

Usually he completly recovers after a while, but now we have noticed that he is also more clumsy with his left foot in general, sometimes stumbling for example.

We have went to vet multiple times. They check his feathers, legs, poop and behaviour and they said he is normal and healthy. However it doesn’t reassure us. Is there anyone here who has any idea what the cause can be?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Has the vet confirmed that it's a stroke?

What's his diet?

I am asking because my Jardine's used to have this happen too (falling, can't use foot for a bit) and it was so due to calcium/vitamin D3 deficiency.

Soupik

Checking out the neighborhood
Has the vet confirmed that it's a stroke?

What's his diet?

I am asking because my Jardine's used to have this happen too (falling, can't use foot for a bit) and it was so due to calcium/vitamin D3 deficiency.
They haven’t confirmed it and also listened to his hearth and lungs which also sounded normal.

His diet is 50% pellets 50% seeds twice a day and each day we also give him nuts and fruits as snacks. We also give him water with vitamins once a week. But maybe we will bring him in then to check his vitamins, just to be sure. Thank you for the advice :)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Nutritional disorders are common as @Mizzely mentioned. All pellets aren't created equal and it depends on how much pellets the bird is actually eating.

Vitamin added to water aren't something I recommend. They csn grow mold snd bacteria in water quickly. Its also easy to overdose which also causes health problems.

Adding veggies to the diet have a lot of nutritional benefits. Especially ones high in beta carotene/Vitamin A like cooked sweet potatoes, yellow and orange bell pepper, leafy greens like Swiss chard and romaine.

What you describe can be night freight, or seizures, or weakness from a health issue, metobolic ( Vitamin low or hugh) or toxicity like chronic zinc.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you have a motion camera on him?