• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure has a large swollen bump under his eye

Ganon

Moving in
Real Name
Autumn Keith
Hello, I have a 1 year old black cap conure with a large bump under his eye that appeared over night.

I took him to the vet about 2 weeks ago because he originally had a very small bump under the same eye and she wasn't sure what it was so she gave him some soothing cream and an injection for mites to rule that out. The small bump under his eye didn't seem to go away and it was only last night when this larger bump appeared.

I have a gcc who sleeps in the same cage with him but he doesn't have any bumps at all so I'm not sure it's mites.

He's scratching a lot so that's probably causing a lot of the swelling and I'll be taking him back to the vet for his checkup in another week but I'm curious if anyone has any ideas about what this might be.

I've attached an image below. Thank you!

IMG_6809.JPG

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Could be many, many things including a cyst from an ingrown feather or an infection. Anything with the eye needs a vet.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Could you try another vet for a second opinion?

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
My Red Bellied parrot came up with a similar red bump which she scratched at and it looked larger. It did not seem to affect the eye itself. I felt some rough places inside of her cage where she slept at night and I filed them down. The other thing was I found a little nest of small spiders in the bottom of her cage under the tray and near where the legs of the cage meet the bottom. I used a vacuum and then put peppermint oil drops in that area to repel the spiders. Her eye took a couple weeks but the swelling went down. I sprayed her with a stuff which keeps birds from picking, or so they say and used plain water sprays also. Itching was the main problem.
I've found more of these little spiders recently and they bit me too. Raised a nice size bite on me and it did itch a lot. Look into both of these possibilities maybe?

Ganon

Moving in
Real Name
Autumn Keith
Thank you for your suggestions Hankmacaw, and I'm taking him to the vet this weekend for his checkup hopefully she'll know. WendyN unfortunately she's the only vet that's not over 2 hours away but if this doesn't clear up soon I'll be taking a road trip. I checked around the cage and I couldn't find any spider nests or anything, Kathrine's birds, but I'll keep an eye out for them.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Hope it's nothing serious, and he heals quickly!

Ganon

Moving in
Real Name
Autumn Keith
Thank you Tiel Feathers, I hope so too. He's still acting like a goofy doot so that's a good sign lol