• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Harrison's & Mash Recipe Question

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
As some of you already know, between the 1st & 15th of December I'm going to Denver to pick up my new GCC baby Cooper! (He's 7 1/2, he bites (not a problem for me), he can already say a few things when he's bonded to someone, and he's a traditional GCC - I believe.) I've been heavily researching the best care for conures - they need more out of cage time than budgies (though both need a ton), they need to be trained so they're properly stimulated, etc. - and I have been recommended Harrison's by a number of people! So here are my questions:
1) Should I get Harrison's or Roudybush pellets? What's the nutritional difference between the two?
2) What "weight" of Harrison's should I get? What one do you feed your conure? (There are so many options, I have no idea which one is right for conures...)
3) What kinds of mash do you feed your conure? Do you pre-prepare it and refrigerate it? What's in each mash?
I hope this is in the right spot, and I'd love to hear feedback!
Also yes, I'm bursting at the seams with excitement! :fairy2::loveshower::bliss::cheer:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
1) What is he currently eating? I would start with that and then try to convert to the one you prefer. Harrison's is organic and has slightly better quality control than Roudybush. But, Roudybush has more size options which can be good for picky birds.

2) For Harrison's you'd want the Adult Lifetime Fine, for Roudybush anything from Crumbles to Mini to Small. A conure should go through about a pound of pellets each month of pellets. I buy the larger bags and freeze in 1 lb increments. This is cheapest per pound cost. If you can't freeze, buy smaller bags.

3) Here is my recipe: My Chop “Recipe” | Parrot 1-2-3

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I don't get Harrison's mostly because my mom told me I can't order online, and as a minor I don't have a credit card or anything lol. Also because it is a lot more expensive than Roudybush.

I give Grumbles Roudybush Crumbles, because they don't have the mini size at the store I go to. Grumbles took to them pretty much right away. :)

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
1. I agree with @Mizzely to start with whatever he's currently on before transitioning. I alternate between what I feed Toque. Sometimes Roudybush, sometimes Harrisons, sometimes Zupreem. It depends on what's cheapest in that moment, and whether or not I feel like changing it up would be good to keep food fresh and interesting.

2. Still agreeing with Mizzely here :)

3. Dang! Still agreeing with Mizzely's amazing post.

I alternate everything I give to my birdie to make sure there is never any full nutritional deficiency for too long. Plus Toke's a little diva and gets tired of certain foods (like I do). Except for carrots. He will fly to the moon for carrots.