• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure friendly after death of other parrot

Taylor W.

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a lovely sun concure who was incredibly affectionate for over 6 years, but after going to college and keeping her back home, she stayed pretty happy still until about 6 months ago. We ended up getting another sun concure to give her a companion and she seemed good for awhile. Fast forward 2 months ago, and she is suddenly a completely different bird: lashing at anyone she thinks will remove her from her cage, hissing, biting for blood, flying off people, no more happy fluffing or chirping (thank god her feathers were healthy as ever though). Meanwhile the new bird adores attention and people, and is also as healthy as can be.

A about a week ago, however, an accident happened with the younger parrot. It was awful, the poor guy got his feather stuck on something, put himself into shock while we were out of the house for a few hours, and I did all I could to save him and keep him comfortable before he ended up passing away.

Old parrot had another attitude flip instantly. She was her old self, but affectionate x100. She crawls back on people's hands, no biting, won't stop cooing at us and playing.

I have two theories:
1. She didn't want to be taken out of the cage due to territorial instinct or jealousy of the other bird.
2. Seeing me try to save the other bird (instead of lashing at the time I put my whole arm in the cage, she kept respectfully out of my way while I grabbed him), and this caused her trust in people to resurface.

Please let me know your thoughts! Though I've had her awhile, she was my first parrot and I've never had experience with a bird turning aggressive (and then back to nonaggressive and people-loving again).

Edit: the cage was definitely big enough for the two parrots. Probably could have fit 1 or 2 more conures.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe your bird prefers to be an only-bird

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
I have two Gcc who have the same cage which is a double flight that can be separated. They are siblings and have been together since hatching, they sometimes squabble when they are out the cage but that's about it.

Im assuming you put two birds in the same cage together? This is not the best idea and birds can kill and bully each other as in the wild they can fly off, a cage means that they can't escape. there could have been bullying going on, meaning that your first bird found it difficult to get food and water.

Birds are not aggressive. They bite usually out of fear or to tell you 'hey I don't like that stop!' if you continue to push this then they're gonna bite you as they know you don't listen or respect their wishes. If she was being bullied than maybe this is why she started to become evasive and fearful? Sometimes hormones can cause a sudden change in behaviour.

I'm sorry to hear about your birds death :sorrow:

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Sorry about the loss of your other parrot.

First bird was likely jealous and wanted your attention to herself. Her “aggression,” which was actually a cry for help over the confusion of the change in social dynamic, likely caused your family to subconsciously work/play/interact with her less, causing her to feel more isolated and jealous and lash out more.

I’ve seen that with my two dogs and when I had two parrots. (Down to one now.)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the loss of the younger conure. The first bird was not happy that there was another bird. She probably wants to be an only bird. If they shared a cage she probably didn't like the new bird being in the same cage and probably did not like any attention you were giving the new bird.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sorry for your loss.

Another idea... she may have bonded with your new conure and was protecting her new "mate" from others. Now that her mate is gone, she is lonely once again and needs a new "mate". (not necessarily saying she needs another bird friend, just that she's looking for another being to share compassion with)

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I agree with @Monica's assessment.

I had the same thing happen with my cockatiels. My Skyline was a single bird for years and very friendly with me. That wasn't fair to him so I found another male. Overnight Skyline was a different bird as I was no longer the center of his universe and he felt he needed to protect his mate from me. He would charge me and bite. Highrise was not very tame and mostly shied away from all interactions. Sadly, I lost Highrise and my original bird reverted back to wanting my attention every second of every day.

Eventually I brought home a new bird which he bonded to in short order and now gets testy with me again. He'll charge and bluff and generally acts very angry. This time around I adopted a much tamer male so both birds are more accepting of me, but still the only way I can do anything with either is to do it with both together.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
She was the only bird for six years, which is quite a long time in a little parrot's life. I think she is more of people's bird and not a bird's bird.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I am sorry for you loss.

It sounds like she was upset due to the change of the flock dynamic. She was used to things being her and you then bringing in another bird threw off the dynamic. She might have been feeling a bit of betrayal and seen the other bird as an interloper. Now that she has gone back to being the only bird the dynamic is what she has been use to for the last 6 years.