• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Food

GillsM

Moving in
Real Name
Gillian Murphy
Hello, I’ve just joined. I rescued a pineapple conure last year. He is 7 and I want to switch him to a pellet diet. I have tried Kaytee fruit pellets but he doesn’t really like them. Anyone have any recommendations please?
Thanks

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! I don't have a conure but a lot of birds like nutriberries.

@webchirp ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There are a lot of options!

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
My blue-conure likes Roudybrush Small pellets but every bird is different.

A store would make a killing selling a sampler variety pack...

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
My vet recommends Lafeber products...mainly because she worked with them to create them and make sure the dietary formulations were good enough for them. I would start with tropical nutriberries. Those tend to be a favorite here. The el paso are also appreciated. I recently tried the lafeber fruit pellets and those went over very well. I'm in the process of switching from zupreem natural to the fruit pellets.

GillsM

Moving in
Real Name
Gillian Murphy
That’s brilliant thank you for all your replies

ConureMama

Sitting on the front steps
I want to switch him to a pellet diet. I have tried Kaytee fruit pellets but he doesn’t really like them. Anyone have any recommendations please?
Thanks
Any tips on the ratio to do the switch over?? I’m at 50/50 right now but I think Charlie slowed down her intake now.

GillsM

Moving in
Real Name
Gillian Murphy
I didn’t get past 50/50 either as I was worried he wasn’t getting enough food

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

BlueBird67

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mo
My sun conure, Sona, actually HATED Kaytee foods. To get your bird into a pellet based diet, I'd try Lafeber's or Nutriberries. :lbpied2::rbfigm::vlb1::vlb2::budgie6::budgie10::budgie7:

GillsM

Moving in
Real Name
Gillian Murphy
Hi Bluebird67, what type of conure is that in the photo? I’m only guessing mine is a pineapple conure

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
My Amazon is 50% vegetables (a little fruit) and 50% Nutriberries (all three kinds), almonds, pistachios, cashews, and Brazil nuts. These latter nuts are not GREAT for him, but the bird gotta eat, you know? He devours the Nutriberries, but I’m not convinced they should be the main seed intake of a bird, although others disagree.

Pellets? I’ve tried them all. He won’t touch them. When I offer it, he literally laughs at me.

Regardless, I currently have both Harrison’s and Lafaber pellets and I’ll grind them into a powder in this little coffee grinder I have, and then sprinkle it over both his seed and vegetable bowls...so he gets a little of that nutrition whether he wants it or not.

Except I hardly ever do that. I know he hates it, and my purpose in life nowadays is to make him happy.

Last edited:

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Pellets can be a bit of trial and error. Or constant error. Depends on the bird! ;)

I’ve converted two birds to include pellets in their diet - and have had success starting with zupreem fruitblend & gradually replacing with zupreem naturals over time. Both times it took a couple months to convert to reliably eating them.

Best advice I can give is patience, persistence and creativity. Keep offering and offer in different ways. Grind them up one day, put them in a different bowl the next. Feed at different times, or bake them into birdie bread! There’s countless ways but no matter what it’s gonna take some time.

Wishing you luck! What’s your bird’s name?