• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure fights

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Hello all!
So its been 2 months since I adopted Arco, a 10 year old Crimson Bellied Conure. He was surrendered for being aggressive to his owner (supposedly bit her face on more then one occasion) and did not get along with her other 3 conures. My experience with him, so far, has been wonderful! He can be a little "intense" but is never aggressive towards me. He loves to give kisses and says "give a kiss"... Its super cute. He has bonded with me and can be very cuddly. Ironically, this bird surrendered for "aggressive" behavior is actually LESS nippy then my 2 1/2 year old GCC, Amigo!
Arco came to me missing a back toe and I have my suspicions he was bullied by her other birds.
I am able to have him out at the same time as my Amigo and Lovie, Kiwee.
Arco and Amigo are not buddies however. Neither will go after the other but if somehow they end up too close to each other they do fight. Its happened a few times and is always if they both end up on me. I'm assuming they are territorial over me (??) The few times its happened they are behind my neck and the fight sounds vicious and like some got hurt but thankfully no one was hurt!! Arco is a bit larger then Amigo, and quite a bit older, so I'm obviously worried Amigo could get hurt. But again, this only happens if they both fly to me and are on me at the same time. This scenario is possible to avoid, usually, but not 100% But I'm still worried.
Their cages are next to each other so they can get to know each other better while I'm at work. I hate the idea of having them out separately since they otherwise don't go after each other and do their own thing. I'm interested to hear what other conure parents suggest! Is it not worth the risk having them out together? (Its always under super close supervision and they are NEVER out without me there making sure they don't get too close) do any other parronts have birds that will spat if they get close? What do I do if they DO fight? I've just panicked and try to separate them asap even if my hand takes some serious bites in the process.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Just give it time and understand they may never like each other. I have to be super careful when I'm holding a boy and another boy lands on me. Boys are just generally turds and will go at it. I have a link in my siggy to training items from @Monica that I myself should learn to use. Maks gets super jealous of the other birds. If Maks is off doing something and I need his attention all I have to do is coo at Boober and he's there!

How to get boys to behave...oiy

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
When I had Jayde, Charlie and Jayde could get along together... but as soon as I entered the picture and both were on me, they would fight each other if next to each other... but if they each took a side, it was perfectly acceptable to preen my face together... just, no crossing the half of the face that was there's! :wacky: Likely a form of 'resource guarding'.

It may help to try and train both of them to station. Try working on training both new behaviors "together". You can either start when they are caged, or have separate training perches and work with them there. Monkey see, monkey do. They may never get along, but it is possible to teach them to at least ignore each other over time.

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
When I had Jayde, Charlie and Jayde could get along together... but as soon as I entered the picture and both were on me, they would fight each other if next to each other... but if they each took a side, it was perfectly acceptable to preen my face together... just, no crossing the half of the face that was there's! :wacky: Likely a form of 'resource guarding'.

It may help to try and train both of them to station. Try working on training both new behaviors "together". You can either start when they are caged, or have separate training perches and work with them there. Monkey see, monkey do. They may never get along, but it is possible to teach them to at least ignore each other over time.

Good advice, thank you!

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Since their last little spat about a week ago my Amigo has steared clear of Arco. Maybe he realized he's not the physically dominant bird. Regardless, I'm still being super careful with them out together and making sure they never both end up on my shoulders. Tonight we had cuddles together, Amigo sat happily on my leg and Arco on my shoulder. Both got lots of scritches and all was fine and well with the "crazy conures" (Arco's new nickname is "naughty honks" if that's any indication to the little guys personality! Lol)