• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

conure eating boogies!!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Take note, I don't think your stupid, or useless. I'm not trying to be mean either

Reactions: tka

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Take note, I don't think your stupid, or useless. I'm not trying to be mean either
i understand that i probably messed up the wording of it which made it sound dumb and a joke. i just got fed up really. it’s been building from other experiences with forums so was bound to happen at some point. it’s done now and looks like it’s a tea party now so enjoy a tea and biscuits and have a good evening

MandW

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi - I just joined this page but realized that it looks like this is for people with parrots and not parakeets. Sorry for that. My husband and I found a parakeet last year clinging to the outside of an office building. We're in Vegas, and it was 114 degrees F that day. We took him home, tried to find the owner (to no avail), and kept him and named him Pancake Charlie, haha. I just wanted to state for the record that I know next to nothing about birds - especially Budgies. So, our bird has been interested in my husband's nose lately. He jumps on his finger and acts like he wants to give my husband a kiss, and when he brings him close, he puts his beak in my husband's nose. I never actually thought he was eating any boogers or anything (my husband is big on nose maintenance and trimming, and there's just nothing in there, haha) - it's kind of turned into more of a bonding time I guess. But I legitimately searched whether it's ok for a parakeet to eat boogers in Google, and this thread came up at the top of the list. To the original poster - I 100% validate that you had a legitimate question here, because I have the same one. So, after reading everyone's comments, I'm gathering that this is definitely not something that the bird should be doing. Does anyone know what the dangers are? Like I said, I don't think any boogers have actually been eaten - the bird just seems interested in looking in his nostrils and poking his beak around in there. Lol - such an odd topic. I don't want to break the bonding time with them, but certainly will if it means that our bird could get sick if any remnants of boogers happen to get into his mouth. If anyone has any links they can provide that will explain what the risks are of human skin/boogers/nose hairs for parakeets, I would really like to learn more. Thanks.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hi - I just joined this page but realized that it looks like this is for people with parrots and not parakeets. Sorry for that. My husband and I found a parakeet last year clinging to the outside of an office building. We're in Vegas, and it was 114 degrees F that day. We took him home, tried to find the owner (to no avail), and kept him and named him Pancake Charlie, haha. I just wanted to state for the record that I know next to nothing about birds - especially Budgies. So, our bird has been interested in my husband's nose lately. He jumps on his finger and acts like he wants to give my husband a kiss, and when he brings him close, he puts his beak in my husband's nose. I never actually thought he was eating any boogers or anything (my husband is big on nose maintenance and trimming, and there's just nothing in there, haha) - it's kind of turned into more of a bonding time I guess. But I legitimately searched whether it's ok for a parakeet to eat boogers in Google, and this thread came up at the top of the list. To the original poster - I 100% validate that you had a legitimate question here, because I have the same one. So, after reading everyone's comments, I'm gathering that this is definitely not something that the bird should be doing. Does anyone know what the dangers are? Like I said, I don't think any boogers have actually been eaten - the bird just seems interested in looking in his nostrils and poking his beak around in there. Lol - such an odd topic. I don't want to break the bonding time with them, but certainly will if it means that our bird could get sick if any remnants of boogers happen to get into his mouth. If anyone has any links they can provide that will explain what the risks are of human skin/boogers/nose hairs for parakeets, I would really like to learn more. Thanks.
Hey there :)
This forum is for all sorts of birds so even though the parrot information, pictures and chatter seem to dominate the site, all bird owners/lovers are most certainly welcome!

Parrots and nostrils.. not sure I’ve ever had a bird that didn’t want to know what the deal is with human noses lol.

I’m not about to search for actual links for you (sorry) but you should find the information easy enough with your own searches… the danger/health problem with letting our birds investigate our mouths and nostrils is the types of bacteria we have or can have in our noses and mouths that our bodies/immune systems can and do deal with easily that our birds systems simply cannot cope with - it doesn’t take much of the wrong bacteria for it to be deadly for them.
You’ll hear people talk about the dangers of cat and dog saliva- again, it’s the bacteria that is a huge problem.

Reactions: tka