• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

conure eating boogies!!

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Don't get your feelings hurt or anything. Try to take the advice that helps, and just leave what doesn't, regardless if it seems like it has an "attitude" behind it.

It is true, pets have to be a part of our lives, and our lives are messy. At least, they should be if we're actually living them. This isn't the Hallmark channel. You know? It doesn't snow everywhere except the sidewalks, all of our animals are not perfectly groomed every time they are seen, and our parrots do eat pellet food. At least mine does! And you know what? Even though I started him on very specialized home-prepped meals and snacks, he likes pellets better! The cage will occasionally be messier than we would like, and we do get overwhelmed and depressed and have whatever other issues we are overcoming in our lives, and the parrot will take a backseat sometimes. My mother passed in April, but was dying of cancer from December to April. She lived 40 miles away. We all chipped in with the animals and did the best we could while I had to be with my mom to care for her, but it certainly was not perfect! That's for sure.

Yeah, the baby can't get up in your nose. My baby (Samuel Clemens) (Sam-da-loo-loo for short -- haha) likes to get inside my mouth. Not a clue why. I have read on here people say don't let them near your face. But my bird gives kisses. Kissy noises and everything. We play peek-a-boo, and when he is done playing it, he gives kisses and flies to his cage. We also rub noses (what I call beak to beak). I hold him now just like I did before he was weaned and we sing (he loves Disney movies and songs). So he is in my face all the time. And I love that little weirdo.

Since he liked to get into my mouth, I did ask an avian person here that I adore (little old woman in my neighborhood who owns some African Grays) about it. She said human fluids are dangerous for the birds. So no human fluids. I mean, I guess it should be considered common sense. But, like you, I didn't know if this is something birds do. You know? I read a LOT about my breed before committing, and nowhere in any book did it say, "Oh, by the way, your male Eclectus will want to climb in your mouth and peck your teeth." LOL

You know, I was told that I couldn't use certain cookware or it would kill my bird. The fumes from it or something. And I don't use that cookware. But one time I accidentally left antibiotic ointment on my dresser when I left my bedroom (the room my bird is in), and he ate it. The whole tube. And he survived. So I don't know. Maybe they are a little more resilient than we give them credit for.

Don't give up on the message boards. Some people are very well-versed on birds, and thankfully so. But there are a whole bunch of us, just like you, who are just learning as we go and doing the very best can which is far, far from perfect.
thank you for this.
i don’t think anyone can have perfect care. there is always something we can do to improve it! i’m always trying to look at what i can for their cages, diet and just all around care and life.
I see people feeding their birds very small amounts of yogurt and ice cream. would i do that? no definitely not. are those birds alive and well. do i think we should all go out and feed our birds those things? no of course not i’m probably just moody and tired tonight since i planned on not using these kind of forums and i’ve tried again and remembered why i said i wouldn’t

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
I'll never understand why people come to a forum, then complain they weren't answered 'nicely' enough.
Read, use what you want. IGNORE the rest.
No one is going to always say everything sweetly so as not to hurt your feelings.
If you can look past the stuff you don't like (most of us do), then you'll glean loads of information.
when did i say they weren’t nice?? that wasn’t what i meant. so it’s ok for people to say well birds aren’t for you then in your opinion even when they don’t have a clue about that person! how lovely are you

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
when did i say they weren’t nice?? that wasn’t what i meant. so it’s ok for people to say well birds aren’t for you then in your opinion even when they don’t have a clue about that person! how lovely are you
i get what people were trying to say here. i understand it. but sometimes it’s as if everyone believes they are the perfect care and sees them above someone they don’t even know

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You have too many triggers......
Put on your big girl/boy panties and move on.

Reactions: Ali

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
I'll never understand why people come to a forum, then complain they weren't answered 'nicely' enough.
Read, use what you want. IGNORE the rest.
No one is going to always say everything sweetly so as not to hurt your feelings.
If you can look past the stuff you don't like (most of us do), then you'll glean loads of information.

And IMO your post was just odd.
Who asks if their pet can eat their boogers?
Would you allow your child too?
I at first thought you were a troll.
i worded it wrong then. i’m a teenager??? i’m not a genius in the english language am i??
i wanted to know if it was as unsafe as i believed it to be. i move her away. i don’t let her. but i wanted to know if it was the same as with mouths.
i don’t feed my bird snot ffs

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
it’s as if everyone believes they are the perfect care and sees them above someone they don’t even know
This is the internet...home of the armchair expert.
What do you expect?
It's up to you to weed the chaff from the grain.

RoanB

Moving in
Real Name
Roan
they literally told me that birds maybe aren’t for me?? when they have no clue of me or my care??? how can someone not be fed up with that. it’s just incredibly rude? yes i’m being rude back but i’m fed up of all this. i’m happy to move on. people are making it sound like i’m feeding my bird snot that wasn’t what i meant obviously.
Of course it wasn't! Just pay attention to the posts that help you. Of course a perfect stranger cannot know what kind of animal care you provide, or use a one paragraph question on a forum to judge your character. Nor should ANY question, in my opinion, lead to a character assassination. But just like a stranger, regardless of posted comments, cannot truly know or judge you or anyone else on a forum, you or we cannot judge them, either. You know what I mean? Why let a stranger hurt your feelings or make you angry? You are absolutely correct. They do not know you. They do not know anything about you.

I think it is very good to ask questions on the forum. Like I said in my post, you know, I guess these things should be common sense. But, they aren't for me, that's for sure. I got booted out of a Facebook group because I had a question about my bird dunking his food in his water (which now I know is normal), but it turned into a conversation about the water itself, and she did not agree with my choice of water for my bird, and kicked me out of the group because I would not tell her I would change it. I told her I would investigate it. And she kicked me out of the group.

She really had some feelings about that water! LOL

Maybe birds are weird, and bird owners are weird. LMBO! I certainly fit into the "odd bird" category. But don't let anyone get you down.

Whatever you are doing, you cared enough to ask. And that is worth applause. You are doing the very best you can. And it IS enough. It truly is. No matter what anyone says.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
You have too many triggers......
Put on your big girl/boy panties and move on.
i’m a teenager so no thank you! at least i don’t tell people i don’t know they shouldn’t have birds :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
What is ffs?
I've no idea your age, and we've members from all over the world.
Your english is not an issue.

Reactions: Ali

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
This is the internet...home of the armchair expert.
What do you expect?
It's up to you to weed the chaff from the grain.
haha no of course not. i use social media. i have a larger following one account with my birds. i get told i should let them free, give them too a zoo the other day haha! all sorts. i’m well aware of the internet and how people are. but you all are adults but don’t act like it

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
No, we are not all adults here.
There are many teens, even some kids, and yes your normal amount of adults.
Me...I'm an old granny. ;)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I figured it was something ignorant, and I think I'm right.
No, not interested in figuring out how ignorant it is.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
No, we are not all adults here.
There are many teens, even some kids, and yes your normal amount of adults.
Me...I'm an old granny. ;)
teens used to be the most judgemental age group i found. since being on here, it’s nothing like that now. i never said i fed her snot i was asking a question

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Every group of animal enthusiasts have their judgmental moments.
We all think we're doing the best.
Most of us are not, to be truthful.
This is the home of VERY LONG TIME parrot owners.
Yes, we can be judgmental.
Why am I explaining this..... :huh:

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Every group of animal enthusiasts have their judgmental moments.
We all think we're doing the best.
Most of us are not, to be truthful.
This is the home of VERY LONG TIME parrot owners.
Yes, we can be judgmental.
Why am I explaining this..... :huh:
k