• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

conure eating boogies!!

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
So isla my sun/ jenday/ sunday conure she LOVES to preen my face. It’s normally my lips or nose...
i always try too move but she’s very determined haha!
so saliva isn’t good for them but i didn’t know about snot and them preening noses. she doesn’t really like to preen the outside of my nose but she doesn’t go too far in sorry i’m aware this is super gross Just wanted to check if it was ok!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
If this is a for real question...then no it's not good.
Think of all the bacteria your nose catches.
Agreed. I would not let your bird anywhere near your face due to the bacteria from the nose and mouth.

Please stop letting your bird near your face now.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ummm how about, blow your nose and wash your face before letting the bird near? :cautious:

If you have a cold (runny nose), then keep the bird far enough away, and tissues on hand.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Ummm how about, blow your nose and wash your face before letting the bird near? :cautious:

If you have a cold (runny nose), then keep the bird far enough away, and tissues on hand.
it’s never actually running or anything she just likes to clean my nose

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
What happens the day she clamps down and takes a bite out of you?
Beaks near sensitive face items can be iffy at best.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
it’s never actually running or anything she just likes to clean my nose
Then do the cobra. Eventually she will get the hint that you won´t let her go up there.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
What happens the day she clamps down and takes a bite out of you?
Beaks near sensitive face items can be iffy at best.
when it happens it will happen. i’m not living my life in fear of the what if

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Agreed. I would not let your bird anywhere near your face due to the bacteria from the nose and mouth.

Please stop letting your bird near your face now.
so many do??? i won’t let her now on. but why on earth are there millions of rules with birds?? what happened to enjoying your pets. i understand that we need to keep them safe and healthy. you guys don’t a clue with my care or anything. i’m just kinda fed up with these forums if i’m honest. i only want my birds to be safe and happy. that’s everyone’s goal surely

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
so many do??? i won’t let her now on. but why on earth are there millions of rules with birds?? what happened to enjoying your pets. i understand that we need to keep them safe and healthy. you guys don’t a clue with my care or anything. i’m just kinda fed up with these forums if i’m honest. i only want my birds to be safe and happy. that’s everyone’s goal surely
Huh?? Did you expect us to tell you it's alright when it isn't?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ali

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Huh?? Did you expect us to tell you it's alright when it isn't? You do realize WE didn't MAKE the rules that keep birds safe?
no of course not?? that’s not what i was trying to say. i just don’t understand how you can be like “don’t let the bird near your face” so many people do. i just don’t understand why everyone on these forums always seems to think they are above someone else. i understand why i shouldn’t let isla near my face and i won’t from now on. i’ve had times i’ve genuinely sat crying from forums ready to give up with birds

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
i only want my birds to be safe and happy. that’s everyone’s goal surely
Of course it is.

but why on earth are there millions of rules with birds??
It wasn´t a rule, Ali was just giving a suggestion to avoid the nose issues.

The bird in my profile picture would always try to put her beak in my nose when she was little but I would never let her. I would just pull my face back when she tried. Eventually she learned that she just couldn´t stick her beak in and gave up trying. And now she can be in front of my face, like in the picture, and she won´t even bother my nose at all.

At the end of the day, beaks in noses is bad as it´s unsafe. Birds eating nose contents is gross and worse.

Birds near faces is something that is individual to each bird and that one person. Some birds are fine with their owners face but will bite a spouses face. Or some birds are not good with faces at all. Birds near faces is something that takes a lot of trust - so you will have to assess what sort of relationship you have with your bird.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
There are rules because it is more important that your pet is safe and healthy, than you enjoy it. If you are not prepared to have to make sacrifices, then maybe birds aren't best for you.

It is not safe you your bird. Carrying on would be selfish

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Of course it is.

It wasn´t a rule, Ali was just giving a suggestion to avoid the nose issues.

The bird in my profile picture would always try to put her beak in my nose when she was little but I would never let her. I would just pull my face back when she tried. Eventually she learned that she just couldn´t stick her beak in and gave up trying. And now she can be in front of my face, like in the picture, and she won´t even bother my nose at all.

At the end of the day, beaks in noses is bad as it´s unsafe. Birds eating nose contents is gross and worse.

Birds near faces is something that is individual to each bird and that one person. Some birds are fine with their owners face but will bite a spouses face. Or some birds are not good with faces at all. Birds near faces is something that takes a lot of trust - so you will have to assess what sort of relationship you have with your bird.
i just thought there are nicer ways of putting it. some of birds i know don’t do well with faces. isla isn’t a biter yet. that doesn’t mean it won’t ever happen but hasn’t so far. of course it’s gross i don’t want her to do it. i always turn away or move her away. i never let her do it but she tries. i move her off me i play with a foot toy or something for her to keep her busy. all i was asking was if i was unsafe like i thought it would be

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
There are rules because it is more important that your pet is safe and healthy, than you enjoy it. If you are not prepared to have to make sacrifices, then maybe birds aren't best for you.

It is not safe you your bird. Carrying on would be selfish
what are you even on about? do you know me? no. do you know my care? no. you have no idea the amount i work for the birds the amount of time i spend always trying to give them more. i’m honestly fed up with all this. you have no idea about me and my birds. i already don’t let her do it. i move her away i don’t let her. i just wanted to know if it was as unsafe as i believed it to be. you cannot tell me birds aren’t you me if you don’t know me and what i do with them on a day to day. that’s incredibly unfair. i do everything to keep them safe and healthy. hence why i started going on these forums.

Reactions: Ali

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
what are you even on about? do you know me? no. do you know my care? no. you have no idea the amount i work for the birds the amount of time i spend always trying to give them more. i’m honestly fed up with all this. you have no idea about me and my birds. i already don’t let her do it. i move her away i don’t let her. i just wanted to know if it was as unsafe as i believed it to be. you cannot tell me birds aren’t you me if you don’t know me and what i do with them on a day to day. that’s incredibly unfair. i do everything to keep them safe and healthy. hence why i started going on these forums.
Why the attitude?
You asked a question.
It was answered.
Take the advice or don't.
Move on.

RoanB

Moving in
Real Name
Roan
So isla my sun/ jenday/ sunday conure she LOVES to preen my face. It’s normally my lips or nose...
i always try too move but she’s very determined haha!
so saliva isn’t good for them but i didn’t know about snot and them preening noses. she doesn’t really like to preen the outside of my nose but she doesn’t go too far in sorry i’m aware this is super gross Just wanted to check if it was ok!

Don't get your feelings hurt or anything. Try to take the advice that helps, and just leave what doesn't, regardless if it seems like it has an "attitude" behind it.

It is true, pets have to be a part of our lives, and our lives are messy. At least, they should be if we're actually living them. This isn't the Hallmark channel. You know? It doesn't snow everywhere except the sidewalks, all of our animals are not perfectly groomed every time they are seen, and our parrots do eat pellet food. At least mine does! And you know what? Even though I started him on very specialized home-prepped meals and snacks, he likes pellets better! The cage will occasionally be messier than we would like, and we do get overwhelmed and depressed and have whatever other issues we are overcoming in our lives, and the parrot will take a backseat sometimes. My mother passed in April, but was dying of cancer from December to April. She lived 40 miles away. We all chipped in with the animals and did the best we could while I had to be with my mom to care for her, but it certainly was not perfect! That's for sure.

Yeah, the baby can't get up in your nose. My baby (Samuel Clemens) (Sam-da-loo-loo for short -- haha) likes to get inside my mouth. Not a clue why. I have read on here people say don't let them near your face. But my bird gives kisses. Kissy noises and everything. We play peek-a-boo, and when he is done playing it, he gives kisses and flies to his cage. We also rub noses (what I call beak to beak). I hold him now just like I did before he was weaned and we sing (he loves Disney movies and songs). So he is in my face all the time. And I love that little weirdo.

Since he liked to get into my mouth, I did ask an avian person here that I adore (little old woman in my neighborhood who owns some African Grays) about it. She said human fluids are dangerous for the birds. So no human fluids. I mean, I guess it should be considered common sense. But, like you, I didn't know if this is something birds do. You know? I read a LOT about my breed before committing, and nowhere in any book did it say, "Oh, by the way, your male Eclectus will want to climb in your mouth and peck your teeth." LOL

You know, I was told that I couldn't use certain cookware or it would kill my bird. The fumes from it or something. And I don't use that cookware. But one time I accidentally left antibiotic ointment on my dresser when I left my bedroom (the room my bird is in), and he ate it. The whole tube. And he survived. So I don't know. Maybe they are a little more resilient than we give them credit for.

Don't give up on the message boards. Some people are very well-versed on birds, and thankfully so. But there are a whole bunch of us, just like you, who are just learning as we go and doing the very best can which is far, far from perfect.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Why the attitude?
You asked a question.
It was answered.
Take the advice or don't.
Move on.
they literally told me that birds maybe aren’t for me?? when they have no clue of me or my care??? how can someone not be fed up with that. it’s just incredibly rude? yes i’m being rude back but i’m fed up of all this. i’m happy to move on. people are making it sound like i’m feeding my bird snot that wasn’t what i meant obviously.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'll never understand why people come to a forum, then complain they weren't answered 'nicely' enough.
Read, use what you want. IGNORE the rest.
No one is going to always say everything sweetly so as not to hurt your feelings.
If you can look past the stuff you don't like (most of us do), then you'll glean loads of information.

And IMO your post was just odd.
Who asks if their pet can eat their boogers?
Would you allow your child too?
I at first thought you were a troll.