• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure chewing on my window screen

Jhanna

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jhanna
Hello! I’ve had my conure, Pebbles, for about 6 months now and he is the love of my life. He is fully flighted and is also free to fly around my room (or whatever room I’m currently in) and is only in his cage at night. It has been working out perfectly until now. Unfortunately I noticed that he has started to bite the screen on my windows. Thankfully he had only made a little hole before I noticed it, but I don’t want it getting any worse. I want to be able to keep the windows open because he loves talking to the outside birds, but I can’t have him biting a hole in the screen and escaping. Does anyone know of any bird-proof screens or anything to keep him safe? I’ve attached a photo of the naughty boy

Attachments

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I would like to get a similar thing, but I haven't found one yet.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My cage has a grate that I don't use, so if my birds were chewing the screen, I would just block the screen with the unused grate.

You could also get him a climbing net to hang in front of the screen as an attemp to distract him.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is he sitting on the window sill to do this? It may be as easy as blocking access to the sill if so. Pool noodles were scary for my bird so I just put them places I didn't want her to be!

kimmiller

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kim Miller
Hello! I’ve had my conure, Pebbles, for about 6 months now and he is the love of my life. He is fully flighted and is also free to fly around my room (or whatever room I’m currently in) and is only in his cage at night. It has been working out perfectly until now. Unfortunately I noticed that he has started to bite the screen on my windows. Thankfully he had only made a little hole before I noticed it, but I don’t want it getting any worse. I want to be able to keep the windows open because he loves talking to the outside birds, but I can’t have him biting a hole in the screen and escaping. Does anyone know of any bird-proof screens or anything to keep him safe? I’ve attached a photo of the naughty boy resume examples
Pebbles is such a beauty!

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
I have this same problem! I like the ideas of using an extra grate the @Kiwi's Mom mom mentioned. I have to try that as well. I’m curious if anyone else has ideas.

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
Me too! Looks like 3/4 inch stainless steel hardware screen is the way to go. I'm going have it cut to size at Home Depot then wrap the edges with vet tape so there's nothing sharp. Then just attach it to the inside of the existing screen. I'm not into major construction but this I can handle. Probably won't be very noticeable from the outside either. I don't want it to look like I'm running some sort of prison!
@Jhanna check out the above! That’s looks very promising!