• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Chattering?

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
My Yellow-Sided Conure: Daenerys has always made this chattering sound since the day we rescued her. If I had to compare it to anything: It sounds like a quieter version of an angry Donald Duck. None of my other Conures make this sound, not even her cage-mate: Shades (Greencheek.)

Is this normal for Yellow-Sided Conures? Is this just behavioral or should I take her to the vet? If it’s behavioral, what does it mean?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I would have to ask what is going on when it appears? If you could share a video? Many times they just chatter. But if D is all puffed up when doing it, likely angry birb. It is just likely her unique personality.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
C.heeky makes quacking noises all the time when she is just sitting around. It's just her being sociable

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
My Yellow-Sided Conure: Daenerys has always made this chattering sound since the day we rescued her. If I had to compare it to anything: It sounds like a quieter version of an angry Donald Duck. None of my other Conures make this sound, not even her cage-mate: Shades (Greencheek.)

Is this normal for Yellow-Sided Conures? Is this just behavioral or should I take her to the vet? If it’s behavioral, what does it mean?
it depends on her body language, if she's showing signs of being aggressive, it may be a defensive thing. mercury does it sometimes when he's angry, but sometimes he makes a similar chattering noise when he just wants to talk!

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
I would have to ask what is going on when it appears? If you could share a video? Many times they just chatter. But if D is all puffed up when doing it, likely angry birb. It is just likely her unique personality.
I’m not sure how to upload a video but most of the time: She makes this sound when trying to bite me or one of my parents through the bars. Other times, she just makes the sound while she’s eating, bathing or ready to go to sleep. What could be making her angry? She was rescued from an abusive situation but she’s spoiled now. Could she still be traumatized from her previous owner and defensive? How do I make her feel better?

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
C.heeky makes quacking noises all the time when she is just sitting around. It's just her being sociable
Ah, okay. Shades occasionally makes a quacking sound but Danny’s is more of a chattering, kinda like a windup toy.

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
it depends on her body language, if she's showing signs of being aggressive, it may be a defensive thing. mercury does it sometimes when he's angry, but sometimes he makes a similar chattering noise when he just wants to talk!
She does make the sound when trying to bite one of us. It makes sense that she would be defensive since she was rescued from an abusive situation. Idk what happened to her exactly but her head was completely bald when I first got her and she absolutely hates gloves. She’s been with us for a little over a year now. She has a huge cage, plenty of food and treats, plenty of toys and a huge bird bath but she’s still defensive. Is there anything else I can do to make her feel happy and safe? I just want her to feel happy and realize that nothing bad will ever happen to her again.

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
She does make the sound when trying to bite one of us. It makes sense that she would be defensive since she was rescued from an abusive situation. Idk what happened to her exactly but her head was completely bald when I first got her and she absolutely hates gloves. She’s been with us for a little over a year now. She has a huge cage, plenty of food and treats, plenty of toys and a huge bird bath but she’s still defensive. Is there anything else I can do to make her feel happy and safe? I just want her to feel happy and realize that nothing bad will ever happen to her again.
be gentle with her and let her establish her space. To gain her trust it may take years, it depends on the bird. Give her her own space and watch her body language, if she becomes defensive, simply leave the room and let her cool down and have her own time to do whatever she pleases. she needs time to trust you, try to understand that it's not her fault that she's defensive. when her body language shows that she's okay with being touched, handle her, let her snuggle on you, pet her neck and head (NEVER THE BACK!), talk to her as well.

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
be gentle with her and let her establish her space. To gain her trust it may take years, it depends on the bird. Give her her own space and watch her body language, if she becomes defensive, simply leave the room and let her cool down and have her own time to do whatever she pleases. she needs time to trust you, try to understand that it's not her fault that she's defensive. when her body language shows that she's okay with being touched, handle her, let her snuggle on you, pet her neck and head (NEVER THE BACK!), talk to her as well.
Okay, thank you and don’t worry, I don’t blame her for being defensive at all. She isn’t my first abuse rescue. :) Why? What happens if you pet her back?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I usually take a video on my phone and then upload to YouTube then post the link here.

Donald Duck is a great comparison!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
She's just "talking," looks like she's having fun, although that dark area can make her hormonal and "cavity seeking." Her sounds are so cute! My conure chatters like this when he's happy, when he's displeased his sounds are distinctly different, and ear piercing. She sounds like she may learn to say some actual human words! @webchirp

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'm going to play your video to my conure tonight. He's a black capped, but as my Avian vet even says, basically the same as a green cheek!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh how adorable. Yep, happy baby bird. Just very vocal. Maks is always blabbering whereas the rest of the gang not so much.

Super cute baby though. Thanks for sharing.

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
She's just "talking," looks like she's having fun, although that dark area can make her hormonal and "cavity seeking." Her sounds are so cute! My conure chatters like this when he's happy, when he's displeased his sounds are distinctly different, and ear piercing. She sounds like she may learn to say some actual human words! @webchirp
This isn’t Daenerys. I just happened to find a YouTube video of a Conure making the same sound. :rofl: The last time I let Danny crawl around on my bed, she tried to bite my jugular then shredded both my hands. She’s vicious but I love her.

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
I'm going to play your video to my conure tonight. He's a black capped, but as my Avian vet even says, basically the same as a green cheek!
I love Black-Caps. I saw one in one of the pet-stores I frequent and she looked like a majestic, little volcano.:loveshower:

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
Oh how adorable. Yep, happy baby bird. Just very vocal. Maks is always blabbering whereas the rest of the gang not so much.

Super cute baby though. Thanks for sharing.
She does seem more talkative than the others. She is the only one of my Conures that chatters. I wish I knew what she was trying to tell me.