• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Characteristics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artistic Feathers

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jenn
I thought it might be cool to start a thread about the individual characteristics of your conures! The only things it generally says on the web is that they are loud and cuddly...

Ra-Sun Conure-RESCUE- abt 3 or 4 yrs- he is shy and likes to hide behind toys, a bit jumpy when taken out of the cage.. He normally contact calls me when I arrive home and when a cockatiel has landed on the ground, a bird needs something, he needs something or wants to go to bed. Kinda like sherades. Loves to nustle himself under my chin at night or disappear under the blankets. Doesn't really like me to pet him, a bit standoffish in that respect. When he is excited or wants something he bobs up and down or side to side until he gets what it is he wants or is satisfied. Like to go outside and sit in the sun with me while I read. And, if we don't go outside he screams because he is used to the routine in the summer. He is a climber and a chewer...Super Terminte when he wants to be and almonds are his birdie crack...:heart::heart::heart:

What is your counure like? Any quirks or similarities with your other conures?

Pumpkin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tracy
My Conures are all cuddle bugs, not loud, sweet, smart, try to talk, they love to eat fresh food & think they're human. lol They love their toys & to be out of their cages all the time if allowed.

quakingcanopy

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I think conures are awesome :) I will probably always have almost all conures, maybe something else once in a while ;)

Mine all prefer fruits and veggies and nuts over anything else. We basically don't even buy "bird seed" because they don't eat it. I had an aviary with 6 budgies when I was younger who would devour a good seed/pellet mix and only pick at the fresh stuff! Way different now!

Buttercup doesn't enjoy my company. But that's okay. She is well fed, safe, content. Wesley is kinda funny - he bites when he is excited. So, if we are hanging out and something happens that makes him eager - like, I am feeding. Or one of the other birds are doing something fun, he gets excited and BITES me!! Pretty hard too. But, I try not to take it personally ;) Scarlett is just so cuddly and sweet. She basically only goes in her cage to eat or sleep, but it is never closed. She is on the ropes, atom, boings, swings, or chains all the time...or with one of us!! She talks all the time, loves to chew chew chew, and even though she was very hand shy and scared when we got her she now really enjoys being held, petted, scratched, and cupped softly. She's awesome

MessyBeaks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Leigh
Loud and cuddly about sums mine up! We have a 12 year old Nanday named Uncle Leo.

He screams when we come home from work and he's excited to see us, first thing in the morning if he hears me roll over in bed and he thinks I should be up cooking breakfast (he can hear this from across our entire house!) and he screams when startled. He doesn't talk.

I am his chosen person, but he's a cuddle-•••• and will take what he can get from anyone who will let him on their shoulder. If I make the mistake of yawning when he's on me, he will stick his head in my mouth before I even know what he's planning - he's very opportunistic that way.

He only bites when he takes offence to being put down if he thinks the cuddles should continue, but we do keep a perch on hand for just that scenario.

He loves preening toys and swings but is afraid of new foods. He lives cage-free in my living room and is pretty trustworthy in terms of potential destruction.

He over-preens when stressed. He came to us badly neglected and had pulled out all the feathers on his back, chest, under wings and shoulders - it has taken almost a year but he has grown all of his shoulder feathers back in, some down under his wings and about 75% of his chest feathers - we're hopeful for a continued recovery.

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
Yori (cherry head) former breeder, scared of hands and loud. He loves to play and spend time with his favorite birdie, my blue fronted amazon

Bubs (red throat) adoptee, loud loud loud, can't say enough of how loud he is. Very very protective of his favorite birds, my yellow naped amazon and peach fronted conure. He is funny though and loves to walk upside down along the top of his cage. Doesn't play much with toys except one that is a noise maker, no surprise for him to make more noise. LOL

Peaches (peach front) very quiet bird. I rarely don't even know he is here. He loves his food and spending time with Bubs. He was an adoptee too and is scared of hands. He can be very bold though and during breeding season, attacks my head.

Caster (fiery shouldered) another adoptee. He is extremely quiet, becoming more outgoing as time goes on. He doesn't like to share his toys but is started to learn how to share his food. He spends his time with Kaylee. He is learning to move about more and getting the excitable behaviour that I know from the conures.

Kaylee (crimson belly), omg where do I start?? LOL She does not sit still for two seconds. She is always on the move, always into something and always vocalizing. Not loud but just has to have a say in everything. She really makes me laugh cause she is so busy. She was lovable and cuddly until Caster came home. Now she is attached to him and won't let me hold her anymore. Kaylee is definitely the perfect example of a well rounded conure and their behaviour.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
My BCC is my sentinel bird....always letting me know something isn't right in or around the bird room. He can be loud at times, and a bit shrill, but usually when he is sounding the alarm. It sure gets your attention and makes me come running. I always know when the meter reader guy is in the back yard, lol. He's my burglar alarm, that's for sure. He loves to hang out on my shoulder (now) or just stay on his play gym. I think he'd be more willing to explore and try new things if he hadn't had such a hard time his first 7 years of life :(

My little GCC is my cheeky, bold and daring little guy. He is not intimidated by anything....the dog, the cat, the bigger birds. He's a little imp who loves create chaos; usually by flying over to the big birds playstands and causing them to fly off in all different directions. He loves to try new foods and attack toys and hide under paper. He's a chatterer and talker and only alarm calls if he's in the bird room by himself.

Pumpkin

Real Name
Tracy
My BCC is my sentinel bird....always letting me know something isn't right in or around the bird room. He can be loud at times, and a bit shrill, but usually when he is sounding the alarm. It sure gets your attention and makes me come running. I always know when the meter reader guy is in the back yard, lol. He's my burglar alarm, that's for sure. He loves to hang out on my shoulder (now) or just stay on his play gym. I think he'd be more willing to explore and try new things if he hadn't had such a hard time his first 7 years of life :(

My little GCC is my cheeky, bold and daring little guy. He is not intimidated by anything....the dog, the cat, the bigger birds. He's a little imp who loves create chaos; usually by flying over to the big birds playstands and causing them to fly off in all different directions. He loves to try new foods and attack toys and hide under paper. He's a chatterer and talker and only alarm calls if he's in the bird room by himself.
That's a great definition of my BCC but he's not loud often, he's the alarm though just like yours. :lol:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
My sun (Kiwi) is an excellent guard bird. If someone is at the door, he yells. If there is a fly/mosquito/other random flying critter in the house he will freeze as still as a statue and stare at it. He loves to be loved. He would be perfectly content to be petted and scritched all day. He is only loud when I come home from being anywhere (including getting the mail. LOL). His favorite foods are grapes and Crasins. He bobs his head when he is excited or if he feels he isn't the center of attention. He makes kissy noises and laughs, but can't talk.

Pumpkin

Real Name
Tracy
My sun (Kiwi) is an excellent guard bird. If someone is at the door, he yells. If there is a fly/mosquito/other random flying critter in the house he will freeze as still as a statue and stare at it. He loves to be loved. He would be perfectly content to be petted and scritched all day. He is only loud when I come home from being anywhere (including getting the mail. LOL). His favorite foods are grapes and Crasins. He bobs his head when he is excited or if he feels he isn't the center of attention. He makes kissy noises and laughs, but can't talk.
:lol: about the mail, that's too funny.

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
Yes, loud doesn't even describe him. LOL I don't there is such a word. He is by far the loudest bird I've ever owned and I've owned many conures with one being a nanday. Bubs out does them all. Even my zons when they both get going. LOL

Pumpkin

Real Name
Tracy
Yes, loud doesn't even describe him. LOL I don't there is such a word. He is by far the loudest bird I've ever owned and I've owned many conures with one being a nanday. Bubs out does them all. Even my zons when they both get going. LOL
I have a gentle question then. :lol: How do you handle the noise? :o:

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
I have a gentle question then. :lol: How do you handle the noise? :o:
Leave the room. LOL In honesty, I am so used to the noise now that somedays I don't realize he is setting off again but there are those days that I do hear it and it might hurt my ears so I just leave the room.

I have my business office upstairs, so I go up there, sit down on the computer, and turn on the tv and let him call until his heart is content. LOL

Hubby gets a bit frusterated but I don't care, he sits in front of the tv way too much anyways. But it is funny cause he will turn the tv louder, so Bubs gets louder.

Last edited:

babyblue

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jodi
My BCC is content as long as he has something to chew on or monkey around on. He would prefer to be on your shoulder cleaning your teeth, ears, eyes and nostrils if he can get away with it. He seems to only get loud if the house gets loud...Doorbell, dogs barking, kids tormenting each other, or hubby coming home.

My GCC is content watching Amos monkey around and chew on everything. He is much more content to be on his own but is also much more smooshy and lovable. He will also get crazy loud when the house stirs in to motion.

They both are crazy eaters, love to do the conure "dip" everything mom gives them in to water and they both also love to see how much food they can "flick" out of their bowls.

=)

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
My sun conure Kiwi is the best !!! When I first got her from the pet store she was in a cage with another sun . Was really attached to the other. I bought her brought her home AND OH MAN I got the worst bites ever on hands ... arms .. fingers... NECK... took about 2 months or so for her to come around. But now she is cuddly .... kissy face..:heart:.. loves to go down my shirt and cat nap.. Chases toilet paper rolls off the top of her cage I pick them up and she does it again she loves that game! Also if I'm out of the room for very long she will walk pass the DOGS and come find me !!!:hehe: She self intertains... Loves her baths. She is very attached to me. Also not loud only when someone comes to the house .... alot of ativity going on or if i come home from work. love her pellets .. fruit especially and oh can't forget the BIRDIE BREAD!!!! tHE BREAD IS THE ONLY WAY SHE GETS HER VEGGIES:p

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
My BCC is content as long as he has something to chew on or monkey around on. He would prefer to be on your shoulder cleaning your teeth, ears, eyes and nostrils if he can get away with it. He seems to only get loud if the house gets loud...Doorbell, dogs barking, kids tormenting each other, or hubby coming home.

My GCC is content watching Amos monkey around and chew on everything. He is much more content to be on his own but is also much more smooshy and lovable. He will also get crazy loud when the house stirs in to motion.

They both are crazy eaters, love to do the conure "dip" everything mom gives them in to water and they both also love to see how much food they can "flick" out of their bowls.
oH i too know about the flick and dip:lol:drives me nuts at times she wastes more food sometimes:rolleyes: so i have to say KIWI STOP ... then she does;);)

MBS

Jogging around the block
Magnus is a rehome from a very sweet and caring owner. She moved to Australia and she picked me to give her baby a home even though we had never met. I've had Magnus since the end of October 2010.

Magnus is nearly two years old, and he is thought to be a male by his former avian vet. He makes the following sounds so far, squeeky sliding glass door, quacking duck, and a big kiss. He doesn't say any words yet. Maybe he'll never say words. He is sometimes so quiet that I forget he's there. He usually makes little grunting noises as he sits there or he quacks very quietly. He can make loud noises because he's a conure, but it's rare that he makes noise. Even his calls for me to get him from the bird room in the morning are quiet. They just barely wake us up. My husband can take conference calls for work while Magnus sits a few feet away.

Magnus will make his "loud" noises when the doors open and close repeatedly such as when my husband was taking things to and from the garage. I don't know how he will be with company because we don't usually have any company.

Magnus loves sprouts, Zupreem fruit pellets, some seed, apples, grapes, banana, blueberries, and some other fruits. He doesn't really eat veggies except some dried veggies and herbs that I give him mixed in his food. He would eat them in birdie bread.

He doesn't play with toys. I was told that he loved to play with shredders, cat bells, bells, and chew toys. However I was told that he only plays while he's alone. We're always home about 99.9% of the time so he never really plays with toys. I get excited if he touches a toy.

He loves to be held, scritched and petted all day long. I have laid him on his back in my hands, put him up against my cheek, and scritched him to sleep. He would sit on my shoulder or arm all day if I let him.

Magnus doesn't bite. He does nip sometimes if he gets reall excited while we are scritching his head and neck. I don't think he has nipped at other times. He closes his eyes while we scritch him, and then he will quickly nip a couple of times out of the side of his beak or with just the tip of his beak. I have gotten good at avoiding his nipping during his excited times, but sometimes he gets me.

I just found out that Magnus loves Nintendo DS game systems. He loves to watch the game, chew on the stylus, and to chew on the entire game system as my kids play. He now needs to get his own stylus so he can play with it.

I'm going to work on trying to get him to play, but he seems happy just doing what he's doing. He normally hangs out on his cage because the door is open throughout the day.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
My GCC Boomer has a temper and has tantrums, he is nippy and bossy. He is not very snuggly but will go on me on his terms. He is silly and very playful, beats up his toys like crazy. I love him to bits though, he had a rough life before I got him.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My 2 Green Cheek Conures are completely different from each other.

Leila, my Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure, is the more clowny one — she hangs up side down off of the top of her cage inside, she hangs off of my finger, she hangs off of pretty much anything, she lays on her back in my hands, she loves being with people (she is a tad clingy), and she loves, loves, loves scritches. She is also a total dork when she does her favorite things, which is dancing.. and rolling over like a dog on command.

Taji, my Yellowsided Green Cheek Conure, is not really anything like what Leila is. Taji is the type that is just happy to hang out on you for as long as he wants to, or is allowed to. I have got him used to laying on his back in my hands, but it isn’t something that he loves doing, yet. He isn’t too cuddly, but he is very hyper active, lol! He doesn’t hang off of his cage, or hang up side down, he is just a crazy, hyper, Green Cheek Conure pretty much.

Status
Not open for further replies.