• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Bleeding Syndrome

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
I wrote this summary a few years ago, but it's still relevant and I hope that we can find some updated information.

Conure Bleeding Syndrome is a fatal disease that can affect several different species of conures. Anyone with a conure should be aware of this disease.

http://www.californiaavianlaboratory.com/anemia.html

Conure Bleeding Syndrome (CBS) appears in conure species with rapid onset of weakness and somnolence. The patient may be bleeding from the mouth or cloaca. In some cases, the hemogram suggests responsive anemia with no visible bleeding, consistent with internal hemorrhage. Cytologically, CBS appears similar to changes seen with lead toxicosis. This syndrome may be due to a calcium deficiency, which is supported by a finding of hypocalcemia in a historically calcium/Vitamin D3-deficient bird. Clinical response to parenteral calcium strengthens this hypothesis.
http://ottweet.com/parrot_breeder_sun_conure.htm

Also, there is some evidence to suggest that a lack of Vitamin K can lead to this disease. it appears that Sun Conures are more prone to this than other species, but I have not read enough about it to know for sure yet.

---------=========-------------------=========-------------------=========----------

Here is some information on Conure Bleeding Syndrome (Erythremic Myelosis in Conures or Hemorrhagic Conure Syndrome) from the Abridged Edition of "Avian Medicine: Principles and Applications" by Ritchie, Harrison and Harrison. I'm summarizing:

It is an endemic disease in Blue-crowned, Peach0fronted, Orange-fronted and Patagonian conures. There is no mention of Sun conures, but everything else I've read suggests that they are prone to this as well. The main characteristic of the disease is periodic bleeding that is eventually fatal. One theory is that it is caused by retrovirus but that's not been proven. Also, most believe that the disease is triggered by a calcium deficiency.

Here's some info on their suggested treatment suggestions:
"In birds with idiopathic hemorrhage, such as in conure bleeding syndrome, injectable Vitamin K1, Vitamin D3, calcium and antibiotics are indicated."

SOOOO... I think that those of us with conures should make sure they have adequate calcium and Vitamin K (found in foods like broccoli) in their diets.

More information:
http://www.avianweb.com/conurebleedingsyndrome.html
http://books.google.com/books?id=_Z...#v=onepage&q=conure bleeding syndrome&f=false

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for the information Jamieo it is good to know I hope people can post more as there is more

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Great information to have. Thank you for sharing this.

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
Thank you so much for posting this. It's important information for potential new owners.

FidFlock

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nikki
Thank you! I have a sunnie and a blue crown, so I best be getting my Calcium and Broccoli on :lol:

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I have never heard of this disease either... what can we feed or conures to give them enough vitamin k? how do we know if we should be feeding more? oh so worrisome!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Dark leafy greens are great sources of Vitamin K!

Your vet should be able to do a blood panel to see if your bird is missing any vital nutrients in its diet.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I've always wondered how common this is... I've only heard of it confirmed in one bird, a *young* green cheek conure. So young in fact that the only way the bird could have gotten it was to be born with it. This conure wasn't even a year old yet when he died, and the necropsy confirmed it. :(

Evelyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Evelyn
Oh, thanks for this post, I never heard or knew it and since I am getting my Sun baby soon this is something I and all of should know.

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
Yes thanks. I never tried giving my cinnamon or yellow sided broccoli. They do like collards and kale. :brnhead: My iguana also needs these vitamins.

spideira sun

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
jeannine f.
Should i give her more vitamin k

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I gave my blue crown calcium supplement on all soft foods. She never developed this syndrome in her 26 yrs. I now give it to ALL of my birds! I use Avi-cal

Teri Ray

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Teri Whitaker
Does this effect smaller conures like GCC's & CBC's?

Teri Ray

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Teri Whitaker
Oh my gosh how common is this? Is this syndrome unique to conures? (I'm guessing it is because of the name) Does their age play a role?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh my gosh how common is this? Is this syndrome unique to conures? (I'm guessing it is because of the name) Does their age play a role?

Any bird can become ill if not on a proper diet. For conures it seems they are more prone to illness from Vitamin K and Calcium deficiency. If your bird is on a pelleted diet or gets sufficient nutrients elsewhere (including Vitamin D3 which is not in plant foods) then it would not be something I would overly concern myself with