• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure behaviour out of control. HELP!

Birdsbirbs

Moving in
Real Name
Sam Poier
Hey guys, so recently my conure has had the worst behaviour he has ever had. I think it started about two weeks ago, but it could have been sooner. He's about 2 1/2 years old, suspected male. Out of the blue, he started eating everything. He's never done this before. He's eaten 3 cords, a pillow, and a bedframe. He's also acting very hormonal, which is weird because I didn't think it was the season for it. I've removed/blocked everything that could encourage the horny behaviour, and I've even gone so far as to setting up barricades so he can't chew certain things.

The issue is that he is SO determined. Like, I wish I had an ounce of this bird's determination in my life. I came in to find that he had eaten a lamp today. Like, bro.

He should have all his needs met. He's got a massive, clean cage. He's got a gazillion toys. I change them out often. He's got good, healthy food. He gets socialization. I just don't know what could be causing this.

We live in an apartment, and the only place we can keep the birds is in the bedroom. I don't want to keep them locked up so they are out most of the day. The issue is that chewy thinks he owns the bed now, and I don't know how to discourage him from going on it.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
ahh welcome to the club! The things my burds have destroyed is endless...

They get a big thrill out of discovering things and textures. I hsve given up lamp shads they all all now metal glass or ceramic.

Cords you can run through pvc pipes. But please leave unplugged if yiu aren't home and are leaving burds out.

Provide several different hanging perch areas. I use ceiling hooks snd heavy weight fishing line to hang hoos snd spirals and festooned thrm ejth easy to chew destroy stuff and little things for them to discover. It has been a huge success in keeping them busy on their stuff and off if mine.

Gcc prefer some softer dtuff to chomp. Like Yucca chips , basal wood, sola..frilly paper toys, birdie bagels , stuff like that

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Sorry he is going on a rampage! The determination birds have is truely admirable isn’t it:D Pixiebeak said all that I would say. I see though that most things he has chewed seem to be in places that are a little darker? As you said he is hormonal, could it be he is looking for a nest and chewing everything around the perceived nest? That is what my lovebirds did. Perhaps a little extra lighting in those areas would stop him from thinking of those areas as nesty spots? My conures are constantly trying to climb behind the pillows when they are on the couch haha, they are a little hormonal as well and pillows just make excellent nesty holes in their opinion.

Reactions: tka