• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure barbering

Wannabefis

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey there! Was hoping could get some thoughts from other who may have experienced the issue we are...

We have 3 GCC, 2 males and 1 female- no cohabbing and they don't really get along/can't be bothered with eachother. We have had everyone for at least 3yrs now. Our female came to us as a barber and has again started barbering about 6mths ago- she was over it for 3yrs...

Everyone is fed the same diet (zupreem/hari pellets- 24/7, fresh fruits/veggies daily and seeds 1 day a week), 2 males looks fantastic and exibit no physical issues- they have all 3 been vetted and no issues found. Our female mainly prefers her pellet and is indifferent to seeds and most fresh foods... which makes me wonder about her barbering and perhaps a protein deficiency, as someone had suggested.

Everyone is out and about several times a day (we work from home), daily baths, selection of toys, interaction with us, etc.... we have moved her away from the males, offered several new toys, changed the arrangement of her cage, added more natural light, given her less light- just whatever we could to switch it up.

It was suggested we "supplement" her with equa- biofeather and bathe her with aloe spray to sooth her skin- if there is a skin issue (no mites/fleas).. has anyone used with success?? Is there something else i could/should be doing or trying?

Any help is appreciated!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I wouldn't spray her with aloe. Also, that wouldn't cure mites or fleas anyway. I have never heard of a bird getting fleas, although I guess it's possible. As for mites, you should only treat a bird for mites if they definitely have them. Indoor birds don't often get them but a way to tell is to put some white paper on the bottom of the cage at bedtime and in the morning see if there are reddish specks on the paper. I am not familiar with the supplement to comment. You can also try making her forage more to keep her busy. You can buy or make some foraging toys and hide some treat in them. A bit of almond if she likes almond, etc.