• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure baby advice

Carson

Moving in
Real Name
Hamza
Hi there i have a baby green cheek conure and he is about 2 month old and he just started to eat some food on his own , i give him some fruits like banana and apple and some pellets ( when i feed him pallets , he doesn’t chew them and poop them completely , how can i fix that ) and also he loves boiled egg but still doesn’t drink water on his own , how to get him to drink water or does he just start to drink all the sudden , also i wanted to ask he still has short tail and he doesn’t fly yet os it normal

Attachments

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At 8weeks old, babies should still really be getting a good amount of formula- and the formula provides the water that they need.

If he was force weaned early, but is eating on his own, you’ll need to provide moistened foods for him. You can add hot water in a 1:1 ratio to pellets, so a teaspoon of water added to a teaspoon of pellets and see if they absorb enough water to make a soft gruel. Hopefully your brand of pellets isn’t a very dense or hard brand- if it is, I would switch if you can. If you cannot switch brands, you’ll need to experiment and add hot water until you get a gruel/oatmeal/porridge consistency.
Some brands will need quite a lot of water to get to this stage! But if you don’t soften them, you’re going yo continue to struggle with constipation.

I don’t like giving so much fruit to youngsters at this age. Sour crop and other nasties happen. I would reduce the amount of fruit, and see if you can’t get him on something else moist. Chopped hard boiled or scrambled eggs is okay at his age- if you add water to them. You want them kinda soupy. Boiled mashed peas are good with babies this age, as well as mashed sweet potatoes on the thinner consistency side.

Keep checking his bottom for pasty butt- you want to be sure his bottom is free from any stuck on fecal matter, and also ensure it’s not red/inflamed/irritated from straining to poo.

You could always try a few spoonfuls of hand feeding formula, mixed per directions on the pack, and see if he wants a serving at noon and night. But if he was force weaned, the softened pellets may be your best bet.
Keep offering clean fresh water in his cage, and in time he will find it. He’s just little right now, a baby, and needs to be treated like one.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Forgot to add- soft seeds right now are completely fine too. Toss a sprig of millet in with him in his cage. Or sprinkle millet or oat groats on the peas/carrot mush.

Carson

Moving in
Real Name
Hamza
@Sparkles! thank you
Yesterday one of his tail feathers started bleeding and he lost couple drops of blood and today the same think happened but to another one ( also all of his tail feathers are covered with very dark in color cover ) so i took out both the feathers that was bleeding , what should i do to his tail

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you removed the broken blood feathers, there’s nothing to do but wait until they get replaced.
If he broke them from rough handling or falling while being handled, he is not ready for handling. At 8 weeks, he should have a low perch, max of 2 inches off the bottom of the cage. At 8 weeks, I still keep babies in a brooder! But he’s fully feathered so he can probably keep his temperature and you don’t have to go stick him in a solid wall box if he’s already used to a cage. But no heights if he’s wobbly or fallling, and if he’s crashed his tail it sounds like he is.

Reactions: tka

Carson

Moving in
Real Name
Hamza
@Sparkles! yeah i think his perch is a bit too high he keeping falling from it and sometimes he hits his head too or his chest, and also every time i put him in his cage he starts jumping everywhere just to get my attention to take him out, i cant put something soft on the bottom of his cage cause that will catch his poop and every time he try’s to eat it (he doesn’t like to stay in the cage at all)

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Floppy spastic babies usually are in a solid walls and brooder box at this age. But in cases of forced weaning, sometimes you just have to match actual physical age with improvisation.
What size or style cage is he in right now? Take a couple pics and I can offer suggestions to get it optimal for this age.

Carson

Moving in
Real Name
Hamza
Its a small type cage so he can’t hurt himself and removed everything from it and lowered the porches but still hurt his tail and today also found him bleeding from another one of his tail feathers

Attachments

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That’s because the cage isn’t really suitable. Can you source a low in height cage with a larger footprint? I really like the 30 inch long by 18 wide by 18 high flight cages for this age. Your cage looks as if he’s going to hit his tail feathers every time he moves.

Its really important that little babies like this don’t end up bleeding- from broken feathers or anything really. They don’t have the reserves, and the stress it takes on the body to replenish lost blood is pulled from potential growth.
So I would search for a flight cage, honestly at this point.

Reactions: tka

Carson

Moving in
Real Name
Hamza
@Sparkles! his tail blood feathers dont break completely they just bleed from the side , if i leave them to heal do they still grow or i have to pull them out 7084465C-F307-4BD6-964D-0A7B1C51DA91.jpeg

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you can get him into a bigger cage where the won’t get bumped, you can leave them.