• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Conure ate soy candle burnt wick HELP!

mango&dex

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haniya
My conure mango ate my soy candle wick that was burnt and black! The candle is scented and soy but it was not lit when she was there. Some of the burnt wick I placed and forgot to through it away and she ate some of it. I immediately cleaned her beak with a wet napkin but some of it is inside of her beak and the inside top of her beak is black. I gave her some peanut butter and she only nibbled on it. What should I do?! I am not able to take her to the vet. She is currently taking a bathing in water. I’m very scared for her and stressed out. Please help!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
bump

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Zara is a moderator and is trying to increase the visibility of your post by "bumping" it back to the top of What's New.

My conure mango ate my soy candle wick that was burnt and black!
Check the ingredients of your soy candle to see if it's 100% soy or a blend with paraffin.

Even if it contains some paraffin (derived from petroleum), since it was burned and given your description it's unlikely that Mango ingested sufficient quantities for it to be toxic.

Regarding soy candles, "Soy is often referred to as a superior wax in comparison to paraffin but in reality, there is very little difference in soot production and carcinogenic compounds released by both waxes" (source), so please don't burn them in a home containing a bird.

I am not able to take her to the vet.
With that stipulation, the only thing you can really do is watch for abnormal behaviour.

Regarding not being able to go to a vet, please look into avian vet options so you're better prepared in the future to respond to an emergency and for regular health checkups.

inside of her beak and the inside top of her beak is black
My conure has the same colour beak as yours and the inside of her beak is always black :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Totally agree with everything said in the post above.

mango&dex

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haniya
Zara is a moderator and is trying to increase the visibility of your post by "bumping" it back to the top of What's New.

Check the ingredients of your soy candle to see if it's 100% soy or a blend with paraffin.

Even if it contains some paraffin (derived from petroleum), since it was burned and given your description it's unlikely that Mango ingested sufficient quantities for it to be toxic.

Regarding soy candles, "Soy is often referred to as a superior wax in comparison to paraffin but in reality, there is very little difference in soot production and carcinogenic compounds released by both waxes" (source), so please don't burn them in a home containing a bird.

With that stipulation, the only thing you can really do is watch for abnormal behaviour.

Regarding not being able to go to a vet, please look into avian vet options so you're better prepared in the future to respond to an emergency and for regular health checkups.

My conure has the same colour beak as yours and the inside of her beak is always black :)
Yeah It was looked like coal inside like I wet a napkin and wiped the inside of her mouth and it was black

mango&dex

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haniya
Yeah It was looked like coal inside like I wet a napkin and wiped the inside of her mouth and it was black

Thank you so much by the way! I’ll update but as if right now she seems fine, she ate some food, had a grape, and drank water. I’m hoping it’s out of her digestive system now and I’m giving her stuff that will sort of cleanse her system to get any toxins out. The vet care in my area is 2 hours away and is very expensive . Luckily my cousin is a vet and specializes in avian care as well, I will be telling her what happened.

mango&dex

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haniya

Here’s a picture of her she looks fine to me as if right now

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This is a fairly in depth article on candle safety with birds. Best wax to have is bees wax if you must burn a candle. I used to make them. Natural bees wax smells delightful too.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
if you must burn a candle
Nobody "must" burn a candle and I disagree with the linked article which has no cited sources to substantiate its safety claims.

Many of the material data safety sheets I've reviewed list soy wax as a reparatory irritant if inhaled in its molten state.

I stand by the assertion that soy candles should not be burned in the same air space as a bird.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wow, never expected such an aggressive response from anyone. I did not write it’s okay to burn candles around birds any place. Was trying to help the op only. I would not do it myself. Bees wax is considered by those who make candles as top of the line for candle making. As for the linked article i don’t see where the author said burning candles around birds is safe. Suggest you contact Wayne the person listed as owning the site with your thoughts on what he wrote.

Last edited:

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
This is a fairly in depth article on candle safety with birds.
... links to article that states soy is safe.
I did not write it’s okay to burn candles around birds any place.
I'm not sure how anyone would interpret that otherwise, thus my response.

Bees wax is considered by those who make candles as top of the line for candle making
Context matters and we're on an avian forum, discussing candle safety, so the implication here (again) is that bees wax is safe around birds.

You may not have intended it that way, but I wrote what I did to ensure nobody would.

Suggest you contact Wayne the person listed as owning the site with your thoughts on what he wrote.
I don't have the time to pursue the correction of errors in random spots on the internet, so I'll continue to correct them here.

never expected such an aggressive response from anyone.
Disagreement during discussions isn't aggressive, nor is correcting errors of fact or reasoning or unclear statements that may lead to a faulty conclusion.

When my facts or reasoning are wrong, I am glad to be corrected because the alternative is to continue being wrong (and perpetuate it in writing online).

If we disagree, we disagree -- that can't be avoided.

Please don't take what I wrote personally.

Last edited: