• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure and Quaker living in same cage

SDICHARIA

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sharon
Hi, I am a new bird owner. I recently bought a GCC and Quaker (12 weeks old) who were raised together in same cage and seem to have bonded. I’m reading that these birds usually don’t get along. Has anyone here run across this? Do I need to worry that they might one day start fighting?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I personally wouldn’t be comfortable housing different species together unless it was in a massive aviary and they were species well known to be compatible

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I saw a post on here within the last month maybe from someone who's quaker had attacked there conure whilst outside the cage causing some injury to the conure.
At least outside of the cage the conure was able to get away from the quaker i have tried to find the thread but cant.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Do I need to worry that they might one day start fighting?
Yes.
Given that the Quaker is only 3 months old (a baby), they could change once they start to sexually mature.
Proceed with caution.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My quaker and green cheek were really good friends, but incompatible as cage mates. They were allowed to hang out together as much as possible, but choose different cages to sleep in at night. I think you should be prepared to offer separate cages. Quakers can be fiercely cage protective.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I'd try seperating them, because even one fight can lead to the death of a bird:(

Tikitiel

Meeting neighbors
I recommend you separate them quackers are usually so protective over thier cage and seeing that your quacker isnt mature yet you better do it now becuase he will get aggrisve for a while when he is mature

birdlady93

Checking out the neighborhood
I actually have both kinds of birds. The folks here are right, quakers can become protective.

If you want to be safe, I say separate them in two cages to start with. If you allow them to free roam around the room, you can slowly introduce the two, make sure you supervise them when they are outside (can not stress this enough!)