• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure and Grey safety

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I am going to be adopting a rescue this summer and an African Grey is in my top 3 dream birds (even if he/she is a plucker) I have a Green Cheek Conure and am concerned because I have read that the dust from the AG can be very unhealthy for a Conure. But this morning I talked to a woman at the rescue and she said that is not really true. It is quite dangerous for a Macaw to be with an AG. She said there is no clinical study or proof that an African Grey can make a conure ill. Can anyone shed more light on this?? Feeling a bit confused about it now. Thanks! :):cagrf::ysgcc:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm sorry, but your woman from the rescue is wrong and also not a vet. You can check any of the online veterinarian sites like Lafeber,
Sakas, Echols, Harrison's they all include most new World birds, such as conures in the birds that are sensitive.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
A conure is a new world parrot, just like macaws.

A grey is an old world parrot.

Old world parrots are the dusty ones; greys, toos, tiels etc. It is the Old world parrots dust that the new world parrots breathe in causing respiratory illnesses and PHD

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily

Old world parrots are the dusty ones; greys, toos, tiels etc. It is the Old world parrots dust that the new world parrots breathe in causing respiratory illnesses and PHD
Thank You!

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I'm sorry, but your woman from the rescue is wrong and also not a vet. You can check any of the online veterinarian sites like Lafeber,
Sakas, Echols, Harrison's they all include most new World birds, such as conures in the birds that are sensitive.

Really appreciate this, and am reading the link now. Thank you! I will not risk it then.

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Wow... Okay. Should I not have my Lovebird and Conure in the same room?? when they are separated the yell for each other and seem stressed :(
I do not notice much dust from my Lovie.
This info does, sadly, make me officially rule out adopting an AG. I will really try to adopt either an Amazon or Pionus

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Lovebirds are not considered "Powder Down" birds. Your conure and Lovebird should be fine together.

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Lovebirds are not considered "Powder Down" birds. Your conure and Lovebird should be fine together.
PHEW!!! thank you!! Yeah, he does not seem powdery at all! I was really worried there for a second. Even though they are hardly best buds, I know my Lovie and GCC appreciate each others company and call for each other when separated.
For my rescue I will focus on another New World parrot like a Pionus or Amazon.

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily

Thank you :heart2:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Lovebirds are old world parrots but as Mary said, they don´t produce the same powder like the other three species I mentioned earlier.
I have 6 lovebirds and the dust in my home is no different to that of my parents place next door with no pets :)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
If it makes you feel better, I too have a Lovebird and a Conure that share a room. :) They're both healthy.

LynnInColorado

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn
I’ve never heard of this! Our CAG, Severe Macaw and Senegal had 15 happy, healthy years together. Three cages in one small room while we were at work and every night. During evenings and 3 days a week in same play area.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Conures are also fairly closely related to macaws :) i believe there was even a sun conure and Hahns hybrid?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
There's been several conure x macaw hybrids

Sun x Hahns
Jenday x Hahns
Sun x Hahns x Jenday (?) or Sun x Hahns x Sun (who knows what mix of what)
Nanday x Hahns
Blue Crown x Hahns
Mitred x Noble

There are many people who keep african greys with other species that don't produce powder. I do not know the rate at which the grey dust bothers the non-powder producing birds.... I hear of it more with macaws, specifically blue and golds, over any other species.

Nikki73

Sitting on the front steps
Well, this information saddens me, the newest member of our family is a blue crown mealy. When I asked if he would fare well in my home, I was told just to get a good air filter, which we have done. Our amazon has settled in quite nicely and has become part of our family.

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Well, this information saddens me, the newest member of our family is a blue crown mealy. When I asked if he would fare well in my home, I was told just to get a good air filter, which we have done. Our amazon has settled in quite nicely and has become part of our family.
We've got air filters and everyone seems fine. We also keep all the windows open in the summer for fresh air. Our super dusty cockatoo is furthest away from the conures.