• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

conure and cockatiel breed??

spongebob

Moving in
alright, this is a new acc so ill try to make this as short as possible.
I own a female cockatiel and a male green cheek conure. They are not 1 year old yet, but around 8-9 months. Lately I've been seeing hormonal behavior. The conure becoming territorial and easily angered, and the cockatiel sometimes putting her butt up in the air while chirping quietly. They are in the same cage. I know, i'm sorry. They were raised together and rarely get mad at each other, but im trying to get a new cage for the cockatiel, i know they shouldnt be in the same cage if theyre not mates.
They have 2 food bowls and 2 water bowls with the same contents, but they often swap places, because they think that the other's food is always better. Sometimes, my cockatiel will be headstrong and refuse to swap again, and my conure will nudge her in hopes of making her leave, but she sometimes takes it the wrong way, and will put her bum in the air and chirp quietly.

Well, today everything was normal, and then i hear the familiar quiet chirping. I go to the living room to see whats going on. And i see, my cockatiel with her butt super high in the air, shaking a bit, chirping... and my conure trying to get on top of her, and her sticking her butt higher. In response, my conure starts regurgitating. They stopped once they realised i was there.

I feel disturbed. I think i interrupted them. But i thought it was impossible that parrots from different genus could have children. I googled it and it is possible apparently. Sorry this got super long winded but i dont know what to do. Is it a hormones phase thing that will go away? Or will my cockatiel lay eggs? Help pls

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Okay so just because they mate doesn't mean they can have babies. I wouldn't immediately separate. She may lay eggs but that doesn't mean they will be fertile.

I've never heard of a cockatiel/conure hybrid

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don’t think such a hybrid would be genetically possible, but I worry for the cockatiel due to beak size & the conure due to dust. So I’m firmly in the new cage now camp!

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Birds in captivity will often bond and mate with whatever they have access to; it's natural. Tiel might lay eggs now but you won't have to worry about babies as far as possible. However the housing is a bit of a problem, what with beak size and dust production even though they're bonded. I really don't know how they'll do to be separated though if they are truly bonded. How big is their cage (can we see pictures of set up?) and what's their "out-of-cage" time like?

spongebob

Moving in
Birds in captivity will often bond and mate with whatever they have access to; it's natural. Tiel might lay eggs now but you won't have to worry about babies as far as possible. However the housing is a bit of a problem, what with beak size and dust production even though they're bonded. I really don't know how they'll do to be separated though if they are truly bonded. How big is their cage (can we see pictures of set up?) and what's their "out-of-cage" time like?

hello! their out of cage time is usually playing with me and fliyng around . I dont have any cage pics in my computer. I'll attach an image tomorrow, they're sleeping now.

spongebob

Moving in
I don’t think such a hybrid would be genetically possible, but I worry for the cockatiel due to beak size & the conure due to dust. So I’m firmly in the new cage now camp!
Ok! I'm looking at large cages online, ill get one once i can.
about the hybrid though, baby birds are my least concern, but rather eggs themselves. Im very worried about possible egg bind

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some hens lay eggs in the complete absence of a male, and some true pairs mate and the hen never lays an egg. From what I understand, it is helpful to make sure there is nothing in the cage that seems nest-like.

spongebob

Moving in
Some hens lay eggs in the complete absence of a male, and some true pairs mate and the hen never lays an egg. From what I understand, it is helpful to make sure there is nothing in the cage that seems nest-like.
Thanks. There is no nesty things in the cage. Ill edit an image of the setup as soon as i can.
The cage size would be fine for 1 bird, but i think its small for 2, so another reason to get a new one:D

spongebob

Moving in
heres some pics for the one who asked for them!! the cage looks bigger than in pics. Its fine for 1 but not for 2, as mentioned earlier.
((also dont mind that theres 1 bowl in the image, they already ate and conure was searching for food even tho it was empty lol)

also, some of the bird pics i like the most!! my two gremlins :heart::laugh: conure is ringo and cockaatiel is gala 1642536571175.png 1642536599605.png

Attachments

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are both gorgous being a conure lover i especially like Ringo