• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure and cockatiel bonded pair

Lolasmom

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Robin Pizza
Hi,
I have just joined and have a question I want to throw out there.
I have a conure and he and our cockatiel were caged together since they were young (about 6 years) and were very bonded and didn’t want to be separated. Sadly the cockatiel got out about 2 months ago and we never found him. Our conure still hasn’t gotten over it and seems lonely. He yells all of the time if we aren’t with him in the room. We are trying to give him a lot of attention. We do have another set of cockatiels who are a couple and are currently incubating their eggs. But they and he do not “hang out” and sort of ignore each other. We also have a double yellow headed amazon but he is king of the castle and doesn’t think he is a bird, so same thing as with the cockatiels, no hanging out...

Our conure is a male. We were thinking of maybe getting a young cockatiel as a friend has offered us one of her babies. I know I have read all of the warnings on how the conure could be very dangerous to a cockatiel, but we are hoping it may help. When we had first gotten the two we didn’t know and didn’t know about all of the warnings until after they had been together for months. It was never an issue.

Any advice would be welcome.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Sorry about the loss of your tiel. It does sound like your conure would like to have a buddy. There's never any guarantee, as I'm sure you know, that two birds will hit it off. Have you thought about maybe another conure?

@Mizzely @webchirp

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that a new tiel and your conure will get along.

My first conure and first cockatiel became buddies against my own wishes... and the conures as well! In the beginning. But Casey, the tiel, was persistent and wouldn't take no for an answer. In my case however, my conure, who was an older bird, had passed on after some years. Casey has never accepted another 'buddy' since. She recognizes the other birds as her flock, but she is not bonded to any other bird, conure or otherwise, since Noel's passing.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I would be a little less worried in this situation since he was already used to a tiel but you still never know.