• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure aggressive towards kids

troddick

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tonia Roddick
Hi everyone,
This is my first post here. I need help! Last summer, our oldest daughter, her husband, and baby moved in with us. Our Jenday Conure, Purdy, has never liked little kids for some reason, except for our kids. We got him when he was about 6 months old, and he's now 6 years old. Anytime he sees a little kid, he tries to fly at them and attack! Even if I trim him wings, he will use all his might to get to them! He's vicious! I have no idea why! He doesn't do this with adults. If he sees a kid from inside his cage, he puffs up and aggressively bites his cage.
So, whenever we have family over, Purdy's cage gets moved to another room. He will otherwise just sit in his cage and scream the whole time.
Since our daughter moved in, Purdy always has to be caged whenever our grand daughter is near. Our daughter has to text me before coming in or coming downstairs so that I can put him away. He tries to go after her too. Maybe because he associates the baby with her?
Well, big news!! She's pregnant again and another baby will be here soon. I will be spending more time helping with one grand daughter or another. I can't keep him caged all the time. But I can't take any chances either. I don't know what to do.
Please help. Otherwise my next resort will be to find a new home for him that doesn't have children. I need to put my family's safety first.

Thanks!
Tonia

troddick

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tonia Roddick
Oh and just to add.. even if he just hears my grand daughter in another part of the house, he instantly goes on defense mode and will climb to the top of the chair and look in the direction of her voice and just wait.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Pamela Clark is a parrot behavior consultant, I think her fees are pretty reasonable and she does phone consultations.

Cockatoo-Dust

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
it sounds like what you need to do is break his anger with your daughter by re-associating what their presence means for the bird. so far every time family has been over he is moved to another room, therefore futher aggrivating his anger in a way. taking him out of his usual room and putting him in a family room may make him realize, hey, i don't own this room, he may be territorial of his cage or room he is usually in. i would try placing him in his cage and putting the cage in a main room, and having your daughter slowly and gently approach the cage with treats. don't have her offer one at first, just have her show the bird she has food and talk to him. if he seems interested and not angry, you, not your daughter, give him a treat as a reward for getting distracted from the anger for a moment. after a few sessions of being rewarded for inquisitiveness vs anger he will slowly get the idea he doesnt need to feel threatened by your daughter, then she can start offering him treats safely