• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure aggressive biting

Dinosuar

Moving in
HI, im new here. I have a green cheek conure that is almost 5 months old. Hes been really sweet but the past few weeks hes been aggressive. He flies to the floor and when i tell him to step up he bites me and it takes me atleast 5min to get him off the floor. I say no bite to him, i wiggle my finger and when i get him i put him in timeout. But he keeps on doing it. Then when hes not on the floor i put him on my shoulder when hes nice but he starts biting my ear aggressively and it hurts so much. I have said in a normal tone no, i shake my finger/shoulder, i hit him lightly, and i give him timeouts but he keeps on biting me. And Especially the last few days hes been so aggressive i can't have him even on my finger.

Any help is appreciated!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Have you tried to get him to step up onto a perch from the floor? It sounds like he wants to be on the floor for some reason and he's telling you he's Not interested in going where you want him to go, especially if he gets put in his cage right after.

As for the shoulder, don't let birds you can't completely trust next to your face.

When my birds bite I put them down immediately, say No, and turn my back and walk away. This helps me cool off so I don't make it fun for them, but it also shows them with body language "I don't like that". It also prevents them from making associations like, "I just want to go back to my cage.... When I bite I get a free ride!" Or "my cage is a bad place, I don't want to be there."

Dinosuar

Moving in
Have you tried to get him to step up onto a perch from the floor? It sounds like he wants to be on the floor for some reason and he's telling you he's Not interested in going where you want him to go, especially if he gets put in his cage right after.

As for the shoulder, don't let birds you can't completely trust next to your face.

When my birds bite I put them down immediately, say No, and turn my back and walk away. This helps me cool off so I don't make it fun for them, but it also shows them with body language "I don't like that". It also prevents them from making associations like, "I just want to go back to my cage.... When I bite I get a free ride!" Or "my cage is a bad place, I don't want to be there."
Hi, so with the perch he steps up qnd since he is scared of the perch i give him a treat everytime he step ups. Its easier to get him off the ground with this thank you. For my shoulder for the past few months ive completely trusted him but now i haven't put him on my shoulder. And lastly for when he bites im goin to try this and see how it goes. Thank you for the tips. I also have a question. I was wondering if a particular diet could trigger this behavior? And if it does what is a good diet? I give him fruits n veggies, he has his seeds in his food bowl and sometimes eats what i eat.
Again thanks for all the tips!

Reactions: Ali

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hi, so with the perch he steps up qnd since he is scared of the perch i give him a treat everytime he step ups. Its easier to get him off the ground with this thank you. For my shoulder for the past few months ive completely trusted him but now i haven't put him on my shoulder. And lastly for when he bites im goin to try this and see how it goes. Thank you for the tips. I also have a question. I was wondering if a particular diet could trigger this behavior? And if it does what is a good diet? I give him fruits n veggies, he has his seeds in his food bowl and sometimes eats what i eat.
Again thanks for all the tips!
I would say generally no, unless they are malnourished and not feeling well. It's usually behavioral.

if he's not getting any Vitamin D3, I would recommend time out in the sun a few days a week, a supplement or pellets be added to the diet. Seeds should be less than 10% of a conure's daily diet.

Dinosuar

Moving in
I would say generally no, unless they are malnourished and not feeling well. It's usually behavioral.

if he's not getting any Vitamin D3, I would recommend time out in the sun a few days a week, a supplement or pellets be added to the diet. Seeds should be less than 10% of a conure's daily diet.
Ok, thanks for all the help. I'll probably reply in a couple days or weeks and tell you hows the biting going.

Thanks for everything!

SegerRocks

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks for adding me! I'm also having biting issues with Seger. He's approx. 7 years and previously owned. We have had him since February 2020. He's so sweet until it comes to biting. Out of the cage, he will lift his left foot when he wants to step up. As soon as he hops on, he goes for the finger nails or knuckles. When this happens, back in the cage he goes. Before coming out, we do target training around the cage to the door, which he has mastered. He's a stubborn little cuss! Any suggestions. He'll bite my neck when on my shoulder which is where he loves to be. If he bites, back to the cage he goes. He loves being out all day and spending time on his play stand, but obviously putting him back in the cage is not helping!! Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thanks for adding me! I'm also having biting issues with Seger. He's approx. 7 years and previously owned. We have had him since February 2020. He's so sweet until it comes to biting. Out of the cage, he will lift his left foot when he wants to step up. As soon as he hops on, he goes for the finger nails or knuckles. When this happens, back in the cage he goes. Before coming out, we do target training around the cage to the door, which he has mastered. He's a stubborn little cuss! Any suggestions. He'll bite my neck when on my shoulder which is where he loves to be. If he bites, back to the cage he goes. He loves being out all day and spending time on his play stand, but obviously putting him back in the cage is not helping!! Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
Might be a good idea to make a thread in welcome lane introducing yourself..... you are much more likely to get some help and advice that way :)