• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure advice

Conure1991

Moving in
Real Name
Brayden Sorensen
Hi I have a three year old conure who’s laying her first ever clutch she has not left the box for two days and came out today looking like she’s been attacked is this normal or should I get her to the vet ASAP pic below

Attachments

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Marisa K.

Meeting neighbors
I'll suggest taking her to the vet, too... A friend of mine had her yellowside laying her first clutch of eggs last year. She did pull down her belly feathers for the nest, but she wasn't this bold.

Conure1991

Moving in
Real Name
Brayden Sorensen
I assume she wasn't a plucker prior to this. Does she have nesting material?
Thanks for your reply No not a plucker just the usual preening and yes I put bleached and sterilised feathers coconut fibre and wood shavings

Conure1991

Moving in
Real Name
Brayden Sorensen
PLEASE buy her some nesting material, ASAP. :)
I had Put bleached and sterilised feathers coconut fibre and wood shavings she also took some of my hair off the brush and laid that in the nest aswell then after the 3rd egg she plucked her belly like that

Conure1991

Moving in
Real Name
Brayden Sorensen
I'll suggest taking her to the vet, too... A friend of mine had her yellowside laying her first clutch of eggs last year. She did pull down her belly feathers for the nest, but she wasn't this bold.
Will that interrupt the laying process or is it a case of it’s better to risk the clutch or then her witch id be more then happy to loose the clutch rather then her get sick and die ? She’s eating drinking bathing she comes out every day for 10 mins eats drinks washes and plays for a few minutes then back in the nest ?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Is she housed with a male?

I would personally remove all of the nesting material that you have put in. Hair is extremely dangerous to use as it can easily wrap around a foot or toe and cut off circulation. This has happened to a few members here over the years. Since it is so thin the only way to be sure that it is all removed is the throw out all of the nest material and start over. Wood shavings are all that you need for conures.

Conure1991

Moving in
Real Name
Brayden Sorensen
She is with a male and I’ve done as you said moved everything out and put only wood shavings in