• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

constipated??

animalover

Jogging around the block
[graphic]
this morning when I took out milo and kiwi, kiwi took a while to do his morning poop, and it was massive since he wont poop in his cage, we did upgrade his cage already, but still not big enough for him, but milo, he poops in his cage, his droppings are normal looking but the only thing is, his poop doesn't stick to anything, like its solid enough to roll off something, but is still soft if squished or whatever, yeah anyways the problem is, yesterday he pooped more often than he used to, he used to poop every 50mins, but yesterday he pooped every 15??? he just pooped and it wouldn't fall, it was like a string of feces was holding the rest, anyways he flew then it fell, but when I looked there was still some, not stuck around his feathers, but still in his (butt) would this be from not drinking enough water? because I find him very thirsty most of the time, im not sure why he doesn't drink from his cage water unless I bring him to it, his water bowl is right above the base of the cage, and milo stays in the highest area, so idk, or Is there an underlying problem? I wish I could take him to the vet but this week is very busy and stressful for my family, but I hope id be able to convince them.

animalover

Jogging around the block
update; ive been watching him and the second poop is coming out, but now it stuck to his feathers
IMG_5312.JPG

Last edited:

animalover

Jogging around the block
ok so ever since the last update, I dont think he pooped at all, I dont know what to do, if I can take him to the vet, tomorrow is my only chance but not sure if my mom will be up for it, what can I do until then, please help

animalover

Jogging around the block
so I gave him a warm bath in hopes of the poop washing away, which it did, the thing is, im guessing he wasn't pooping because the poo stuck on his vent feathers didnt allow him to get the rest out, overall I think its a fair amount of poop that got off with the bath.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
because I find him very thirsty most of the time, im not sure why he doesn't drink from his cage water unless I bring him to it, his water bowl is right above the base of the cage, and milo stays in the highest area, so idk
Now that he is cleaned up. Try moving the water somewhere else, or better, adding an extra bowl. Try a different type of bowl and see if that helps.
Maybe have one down low and the other up high. Be sure one is next to his dried foods bowl too.

animalover

Jogging around the block
Now that he is cleaned up. Try moving the water somewhere else, or better, adding an extra bowl. Try a different type of bowl and see if that helps.
Maybe have one down low and the other up high. Be sure one is next to his dried foods bowl too.
okay! ive already found some bowls, would these work? <B>Trixie - Large Bird Feed Bowl</B> (400 ml) dunno if you can open it but here's a pic Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 2.16.26 PM.png
ill probably be buying 2 of these ones and then the same one but a smaller size for the wet foods

scott199

Walking the driveway
do you think a little ACV may help ? ive heard its good for minor things and also most birds love the taste ?

scott199

Walking the driveway
but for me I feel like the other one would be easier to take out and clean, instead of screwing and unscrewing
you don't need to screw/unscrew each time, they just pop in and out of the holder, stainless is far easier to keep clean and you don't get any little nooks and crannies for bad stuff to hide it.

and it cant be chewed :tup:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The stainless steel bowl comes with a ring that screws onto the cage, then a bowl that you just lift out of the ring.

Stainless is easier to keep clean and they're sturdy enough that you can just put disinfectant with them and leave them to soak. Plastic has microscopic pits that collect bacteria. Those semicircular bowls have corners that are hard to scrub out properly.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Try not to lose the bowls though... I´ve spent all day yesterday hunting down one of my bowls for the ring. Can´t find it for the life of me! :lol:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Try not to lose the bowls though... I´ve spent all day yesterday hunting down one of my bowls for the ring. Can´t find it for the life of me! :lol:
I finally found it! Took me a good 2 hours turning the house upside down but :yah:
IMG_20200929_171548.jpg

animalover

Jogging around the block
update: idk why, but milo wont drink water, hes not lethargic, yes till eating, but not drinking, I tried to put him near his bowl in the cage, I took him out and gave him a steel bowl, still didnt drink, he always usually drinks when hes thirsty, hes pooping normally again, but im worried its gonna get solid again.
I kept trying to give him water for the past hour, but he didnt want any, I know that birds only drink a bit of water per day, could he already have had his fair share? I wasn't home for 4 hours so could he have drank during that time?

Last edited:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Try offering him some vegetables with a high water content - cucumber, peppers, peas, celery and so on. Cockatiels are desert-adapted so you may not see him drink a lot.

animalover

Jogging around the block
Try offering him some vegetables with a high water content - cucumber, peppers, peas, celery and so on. Cockatiels are desert-adapted so you may not see him drink a lot.
okay! ill try, thank you!