• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Constipated Quaker

Picses35

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, I am new here and am hoping for help.
My 17 y/o Quaker Gus Gus is constipated. I am feeding him apples and he is licking flax seed oil off my fingers. Seems to have helped a bit.
Right now he is drinking water and actually passing gas! Never heard that high pitched air noise from a bird, but he is still very uncomfortable.
Any suggestions that can help?
It's Sunday, no avian vets available :(.
I've also gently cleaned and wiped is bottom with warm water.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Unfortunately, I have no experience with Quakers. Make him comfortable, continue what you are doing. I hope he will feel better soon! :sadhug2:

Jogging around the block
From what I‘ve heard about baby birds what you are doing is good. My great great grandmother used to breed canaries and for egg bound birds, which is probably similar to constipation , she used to feed flax seed oil and it usually fixed the egg binding, so I think the flax seed oil will definitely help at least a little.
Wishing your little one a speedy recovery! :sadhug2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Hankmacaw @Zara @Mizzely

I don’t think it’s normal at all to hear high pitched noises from your birds gut.

Have you contacted your vet?

How long has it been since the last poop?
What does he usually eat?

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
she used to feed flax seed oil and it usually fixed the egg binding, so I think the flax seed oil will definitely help at least a little.
This is a male bird and egg binding is not similar to anything else. When regarding a potentially sick bird, if you don´t know, it´s best not to post.

he is drinking water
What is he eating? Apart from apples, is he eating pellets or something? Have you weighed him to see if he has lost weight?
If he is not eating, you can try some warm mashed veggies on a spoon for him. Try your best to keep him eating and drinking normally until tomorrow when the vet is open.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Are you 100% sure he's a he?

My understanding is that constipation is pretty rare though not unheard of.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Over the counter PEG (brand name miralax) is often helpful with constipation, although the bird cannot be too dehydrated because the mechanism of action of the drug is drawing water into the digestive tract in order to soften the stool (thereby making it easier to pass). The Miralax is often given via syringe directly by mouth

I’m hesitant to offer dosing guidance because constipation is a symptom; often of an underlying more serious ailment. The root cause of the constipation needs to be diagnosed and addressed, by your avian vet.

I sure hope he’s feeling better soon.

tjc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tammy
I’m sorry I’m been out and just saw your post. What was the outcome, no pun intended, lol.