• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CONSTANTLY flying towards me (could it become unsafen?)

Raffy

Moving in
Real Name
Raffy
Hi! I have a 5 months old cockatiel that has been with me for about a month :) i have been recall training him and he comes to me about 70% of the times but this is not really the problem here lol.

The real problem is when we are not training, he barely stays put on his stand and is always flying towards me (and getting on my shoulder). I didn't consider this a problem until i've started to notice that he basically flies towards me no matter the situation and i CAN'T stop him... even yesterday, i was trying to change my shirt and while my head was covered he tried to get on top of me obviously failing and proceeding to fly agitated until i went to take him:dead:

Does anyone have any suggestion? is this an acceptable behavior or not?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Ha, you really did some excellent recall training! :lol: Now you will have to station train him so you can get things done. It’s not really a problem unless you feel it would be easier on you if he didn’t always fly to you.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Normal behavior, you are his flock and he wants to be with you.

Raffy

Moving in
Real Name
Raffy
Ha, you really did some excellent recall training! :lol: Now you will have to station train him so you can get things done. It’s not really a problem unless you feel it would be easier on you if he didn’t always fly to you.
Hahahahahaha!!!! i sure did!!! haahahah :loltears::tongue2: i had no idea station training was a thing, thank you very much! and yeah right now it's a little problem 'cause he's not the best at finding a place to land, so i'd rather make him stay on his perch instead of flying everywhere scared :shocked4:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yep, you need to teach him to stay. My Hahns had to learn that too!