• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Constant Screaming/Flock Calling

JonDaZwon

Checking out the neighborhood
I have an ~2 year old Canary Wing Parakeet named Odie, who may also be part raid siren considering he will scream for hours on end if I am not in the same room as him. I also have a ~10 year old Indian Ringneck, who is a sweetheart but doesn't get along with Odie.

Part of this is probably due to how we interacted upon originally getting him - since I was working remote full time I was able to have him out for most of the day, our cat at the time was ill and had no interest in any attempt at hunting a bird. That cat has unfortunately passed, and since my wife is a cat person, we now have 2 new cats, who, given an opportunity, will definitely be hunters.

Due to this I currently have the birds out for ~6 hours a day, during the beginning of my work day until a few hours before ending, as the cats tend to want some attention near the end of my work day. During this time I'll typically attempt to play with him on my breaks, but he's generally pretty non-interactive, he normally just wants to be on my shoulder or on his cage near me.

When he's out and I'm around, he's fine. He'll get a little riled up if he hears sounds outside the office, but overall he just hangs out, occasionally plays with toys, nothing major. If I put him in the cage, he adamantly refuses to play with his toys in his cage, and will.. I guess the best way to describe it is bite the cage bars, and make a sharp metal tapping sound on it with his beak. Think in the prison movies where an inmate runs his cup across the cage bars, but with his beak.

But if at any time I am to leave the room, he will immediately try to jump onto my shoulder to come with me. Which I pretty often let him, since getting him out of the room and investigating sounds I think is good for him? But when I'm not able to take him with me (when I'm cooking - I have to leave the house, playing with the cats), he will proceed to scream for literal hours until I return. I've tried teaching him that me leaving the room isn't a bad thing (my wife giving him treats while I step out for a few seconds) - but anything more than 10-15 seconds of me being out of the room results in him becoming a raid siren until I return.

Any tips on how to work on this behavior? My wife is currently pregnant, and that kind of puts a timeline on how long we can manage this behavior, because I can't have him screaming for hours on end when we have a newborn, and even sooner I'd rather not have him stressing my wife out prior to birth.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Its frustrating to have one part of a couple be parrot people and the other to like bird predators ..

Cats sleep 14-20 hours a day. While parrots are daylight active. So from here , cats have cat room during the day. With a few a few cat out breaks and bird up. Then cats have free roam ( except burd room) after 5pm.

You can recondition postive cage association , and pattern to a set cage relax break time.

I had to do this. As my parrots are normally out all day with me. But one time I was seriously sick with the flu for days....and they screaming entire time while caged during those days...the entire daylight hours! And due to some chronic health issues there are other times ...

So as soon as I recovered I started a mission to fix this. And to create a mid day cage routine. I started with several trips to cage daily, step into cage for treat, and right back out to me for treat. 15-20 times a day. Then step into cage, enjoy an apple slice while I shut the door for a few minutes then back out before screaming. Building to 10-15min.

Its all about shaping behavior, and works best broken down to tiny steps and building. You are going to fast if you have failures. Its fluid.

Then I picked my ideal cage break time. My goal 12-1:30 or 2pm
My birds and most burds have a mid day nap time. For my flock its about 10 am. So I started caging them at their nap time , plus put a high value food item in first that they now only got at cage break time. For me apple slice or popcorn. It got me a half hour. I kept moving back the time by 10 min or so over the next couple of weeks , so 10:10 to 10:40 and so on. And worked to increase the time caged by 10 min or so at a time. I was able to do this by now making them work harder for high value treat. Popcorn now in one if those rubber balls they have to fish out. Or the apple slice in a millet holder so harder to get at but not to hard. Also I encouraged a bath pre cage time . As this really gives you more time, the rest and preen and nap while they dry then go for treats pick me up. I misted them, really splashed in a bowl. I reached 12 pm -1pm it became an expected pattern . They seemed to look forward to it. We held there for a while . Then I slowly extended to 12 to 1:30. Now they get random in cage treat or foraging. But not always. I don't have to encourage baths beforehand and now let thrm choose. But as creatures of habit they often take midday baths still. Then want their cage nap quiet time.

I still did random trips to the cage and go in for a few minutes with a treat and right back out. And I still do this here and there to this day. Whst a pleasure to have them rush to the cage and get inside in their own for a treat !

Reactions: tka

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Foraging is good to get going. Its best to start as an interactive sport you do together with lots of praise and oh so very easy at first. Build up to them diving in a little box filled with crumple paper and toy bits . Abd working harder to get treats often seeds work best. @Wardy a master at this so hope she shares or check her threads

Find easy to destroy/chew toys..there is stuff out there that your parrot may enjoy. My gcc is hard to please, but she likes untie knots. Or removing hoops from her perches. @April got her Christmas presents from Little monsters Avian Avenue vendor that she went crazy for!!!! Very easy to chew wood, I just never knew toys like those would please her so much after 10 years of toy failures! So don't give up! There is something your little monster will love!

Ok for the other screaming, when you step away. Start small much like my previous post. Give him something, tell him be right back. Go as far away but still in sight as you can, have back turned pretend to busy with something. Then head back over and praise for being a good quiet boy.

On that note also be sure and just randomly praise him when ever he is quiet.

Build up to duck out of sight for a minute or two. But always tell him be right back and give a treat first. Be sure and be back before screaming...sonif its seconds at first its seconds

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I try and offer as many foraging oppertunities as possible.

Really simple stuff some paper straws you have cut up with some treats put in a spare food bowl in the cage. 20210729_155410 (1).jpg
Simple way to encourage foraging my girls still get excited when they see me cutting straws.

Foraging box with crinkle paper i usually have more in the boxes but have made it a little simpler, to encourage KiKi to use the boxes more.
20221127_141933.jpg
Same idea but more in this box this is above KiKi's cage.
20221208_112722.jpg

Super Bird Creations mug both have one in there cage they get pellets in these.

20221208_112711.jpg

Toybox from seriously Nutz filled with foot toys,beads,vine balls daily occasionally a bit of seed or a nutriberrie gets put inside both have one in there cage.

20221208_113208.jpg

Finger traps i cut them and stuff with chillis and sugersnap peas.
20221208_113441.jpg

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This thread has some great ideas

This thread is worth a read as well i have been feeding Not Chop since i read this thread, i have found feeding this way occupies for much longer and a bonus is they eat more fresh food.

I am glad your keeping him also in the UK

Colin

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’d have a large room for the cats, not just the birds. Sort of like a home base.

This would better allow you to implement the above suggestions.

Some people think any cat confinement, even just to a room, is cruel. It’s not. It’s the key to good indoor behaviour.

Cats like having a room & it’d help you instil good habits, like scratching a post not rugs/furniture, with two new cats.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I try and offer as many foraging oppertunities as possible.

Really simple stuff some paper straws you have cut up with some treats put in a spare food bowl in the cage. View attachment 418872
Simple way to encourage foraging my girls still get excited when they see me cutting straws.

Foraging box with crinkle paper i usually have more in the boxes but have made it a little simpler, to encourage KiKi to use the boxes more.
View attachment 418873
Same idea but more in this box this is above KiKi's cage.
View attachment 418874

Super Bird Creations mug both have one in there cage they get pellets in these.

View attachment 418875

Toybox from seriously Nutz filled with foot toys,beads,vine balls daily occasionally a bit of seed or a nutriberrie gets put inside both have one in there cage.

View attachment 418877

Finger traps i cut them and stuff with chillis and sugersnap peas.
View attachment 418878
Sorry for the non sequitur but I’m always learning from your set up @Wardy and I’m really intrigued by the rock? Stone? Perch in 2nd photo. What is it?

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry for the non sequitur but I’m always learning from your set up @Wardy and I’m really intrigued by the rock? Stone? Perch in 2nd photo. What is it?
Its a flagstone perch from Seriously Nutz the girld have 5 between them.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Some people think any cat confinement, even just to a room, is cruel. It’s not. It’s the key to good indoor behaviour.
I used to have a cat room that we would close while we were at work. It was the bigger of the two rooms in our 2BR apartment. We used the corner for some storage but mostly it was all them. It helped us preserve our furniture. And my husband was allergic. So it gave us a place that was more hair free. Over time, his allergy has completely gone away and we opened up the house but in the beginning it would irritate him a bit. When we got home, we would let them out and they would have free range of the whole place

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It’s a great way to teach them to respect furniture & rugs. Mine look like I don’t have a cat.