• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Constant flock calling

yuaaaa

Moving in
Real Name
Monica
I have had this male cockatiel for almost 1 year, and he is 1 year and 6 months old. We got him at the local animal store, and he was never a social bird. We used to let him out of the cage and try to play with him but he would be aggressive and scared towards us. We got him a female, but since he's so aggressive they just dont click, even tho he makes the "heart wings" and sings to her very often but then proceeds to kick her out by biting her lol. Now he's more bonded to us, especially me, and im not even the one who changes the food or the water, it just seems weird to me. He has had this CONSTANT flock calling behavior for like almost 3 months? Especially in the morning. My family has to go to work early so my cockatiels wake up early too, while i want to sleep. Before, he used to sing, now he just screams to get my attention, i cant even walk past the kitchen (where their cage is, in the main room) that he starts to scream even more. I try to ignore him, the female isnt even bothered lol but sometimes she screams too, but then stops, just not always (she is just now screaming as i write this, she makes a different scream, it's like a very short but loud "wee-wee" scream). Since his behavior really gets on my nerves (i HATE constant loud sounds) i ignore him most of the time in the morning, but also i sometimes cover their cage with a cloth, and he either keeps screaming for a more little bit or he stops (i think he stops because he got to see me even because it was for the cloth lol)
Also, when i come close to him, he always either wants to get pets or sings to me (but he also does these things to my other family members, he just screams or flock calls with me) and also copies my movements (like the up and down movement with the head and he copies some other sounds i make). I also noticed when we are all eating he stares at me, and when i do the head movement to make him sing he starts to do it too, but just staring at me LOL. He also memorized the sound of my room's door, and everytime the door makes a sound he makes either a loud scream or a short and soft "prr" as saying like "are you there?"
Also, when i get close to their cage he tries to "fly" out to get closer to me, like he tries to open the wings and tip taps quickly towards me
But because of his aggressive temperament, with everyone he sometimes snaps when we pet him through the cage. We cant let him go fly because he literally doesnt know how to properly fly lol, he sometimes either fall or crash through something (dw hes fine), the female is wayyy more good at flying around
Also, in our neighborhood there's this cockatiel, and their owners put him on the balcony, so he can have a full convo with my cockatiel. Basically they both scream to call each other lol
They also dont have toys, so ill be putting some hand made toys for them

What should i do?? This is so tiring, i just want to sleep in the morning

Attachments

yuaaaa

Moving in
Real Name
Monica
Now that i came into the room, he is playing on the cage floor with pellets and she is chirping. Looks like the calmed down

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Monica, Welcome to the Avenue :)

I put my money on boredom. No toys, no space to fly or move. Nothing to do.

I´d recommend a larger cage for your birds, as that one is far too small. Keepo that cage though, it can be handy for vet visits and outdoor adventures/putting them in this cage to go out and call with the neighbours bird.

Some natural perches to perch on will be much healthier for your birds feet (and make the cage look lovely!)

And I see you said you would make some toys. That´s good, have a variety, don´t add lots of the same. Shreddables and foraging should be included in his space to entertain him.

Some helpful links;

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I agree, your birds need a much larger cage, more toys and a variety of perches. Also they should be let out of their cage every day, a few times a day. Your bird will learn to fly properly if given the chance, but just make sure you close windows and cover mirrors. He needs to fly in order to burn off extra energy. Also, having a fairly consistent routine will help him scream less. Birds are naturally more active in the morning, so maybe you can adjust your schedule somewhat. I don’t think covering his cage is the way to go, so hopefully some foraging activities will help. It’s cute how he likes you, so maybe you can start training him to target or other simple behaviors. It’s a great way for him to use his intelligence and also for the two of you to strengthen your bond.

yuaaaa

Moving in
Real Name
Monica
ikr :( if i could afford it, i would really do my best for them. we're working on it <3