• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Constant calling

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
I’m at my wits end. My female cockatiel a little over 1 year old has been constantly chirping. Every 5 seconds all day until around 5pm when she stops and is cuddly and quiet.
She has her own bird room and is out of her cage most of the time. Recently I’ve had to keep her in her room while I work instead of with me because of her constant chirping and she is constantly looking for a place to lay eggs.
Ive increased her nighttime hours and changed up her cage but other than that I don’t know what to do.
Any advice please?

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Is like a chatter, or contact calling? Some birds are just noisy, and others need something to do like forage or shred.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Is she alone when in her bird room? She might quiet down if she can be near you. Cocktails do better when they are with their flock, and sometimes their flock is there favorite human. Can you put her in a big cage in the room where you work? This, coupled with a routine, might help.

Moonrift

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Em
I find that my cockatiel stops chirping/screaming when he’s around me, is there a space you could relocate her where she could see you more often?

lobster14

Meeting neighbors
My cockatiel is definitely prone to incessant flock calling when I'm not around them. He gets sleepy in the afternoon and is quieter then, but the morning he will call and call until I let him out of the cage, and god forbid I leave the room without him on my shoulder he also makes the most ear shattering call until I come back. Same thing for the evenings. Thankfully, I work from home so I can usually take him up with me and he will "mostly" be quiet, sometimes going in a calling trance if the wild birds outside happen to be very noisy. That's usually resolved though with playing some music or something to drown out their noise. Like others have said, it may be best to see if there's a way they can be near you more throughout the day.

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
Is like a chatter, or contact calling? Some birds are just noisy, and others need something to do like forage or shred.
it’s just a constant question mark type call. The weird thing is she does it while with me and even on my shoulder which kills my eardrum.
She gets louder if my husband and I are having a conversation sometimes.. sometimes it’s just for no reason I don’t know what she wants. I’m with her all day everyday.. but lately I’ve had to put her in her bird room, not in the cage, to give my ears a break but she still just goes and goes.

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
Is she alone when in her bird room? She might quiet down if she can be near you. Cocktails do better when they are with their flock, and sometimes their flock is there favorite human. Can you put her in a big cage in the room where you work? This, coupled with a routine, might help.
The weird thing is she does it alone AND with me. She has a perch in the kitchen, a perch in my den.. she does it on my shoulder.. I don’t know what or who she’s calling to.

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
I find that my cockatiel stops chirping/screaming when he’s around me, is there a space you could relocate her where she could see you more often?
she has perches around the house and I bring her with me everywhere. She’s always with me however lately I have had to put her in her room so I can get a break.. but even then she calls a lot, and loudly while in her room as well (not in her cage she has free reign as long as I’m home the room is bird proofed)
I’ve noticed sometimes she gets quieter if I put her in her cage. I’m not sure what to do.. but once 4pm hits she’s quiet and she wants scritches . It’s the weirdest thing.

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
My cockatiel is definitely prone to incessant flock calling when I'm not around them. He gets sleepy in the afternoon and is quieter then, but the morning he will call and call until I let him out of the cage, and god forbid I leave the room without him on my shoulder he also makes the most ear shattering call until I come back. Same thing for the evenings. Thankfully, I work from home so I can usually take him up with me and he will "mostly" be quiet, sometimes going in a calling trance if the wild birds outside happen to be very noisy. That's usually resolved though with playing some music or something to drown out their noise. Like others have said, it may be best to see if there's a way they can be near you more throughout the day.
she is with me all day everyday. We do have a ton of birds outside, many feeders and trees our hobby is bird watching..
I have tried the bird Buddy companion on YouTube along with calming music.. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t.
I have her out with me constantly..only recently has she started calling even while on my shoulder or her various perches around the house so I have been putting her in her room more recently only to give my eardrums a break. I hang out with her and she calls and flys around and looks for a place to nest so I’ve been trying to stop her from doing that for the moment. I miss her out with me I wish I could figure out what she wants or needs, it’s definitely not attention

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Sometimes stopping unwanted behaviors is more about REPLACING the behavior with something more tolerable or enjoyable.

For example, instead of trying to stop the calling, perhaps teach a game of mimicking or whistling. Reinforce desired behaviors, even if the behavior is being calm and quiet.

There was also another thread just yesterday or today about using soft voices to encourage your bird to be quiet in order to hear you.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I like how nichole615 put it. Don't change but replace. Have you tried foraging? Every time she gets loud give her a foraging toy to work on to try to break the habit.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Every time she gets loud give her a foraging toy to work on to try to break the habit.
They she will learn... be loud and the human will bring toys...
To use foraging to reduce noise, you must give it before the noise making occurs.

shajeeb

Meeting neighbors
I too have the same problem. My one-year-old female cockatiel "Gutu" screams all day constantly. Even when she is on my or my wife's shoulder. My wife works from home so my bird is out of her cage all day long. We tried to play with her and gave her tons of toys, but she loses interest in 2 mins. Mine does the same thing sits on our shoulders and gets very loud. My wife's job requires lots of conference call/zoom meetings and her constant flock calling becomes very problematic. And if we put her back in the cage in the bird room she just jumps around the cage and gets louder. She starts to get quiet by 6-7 pm. Many people suggested me, to play some sort of meditation music, but it did not help at all.

youtube link for a rough idea