• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Consistent Polyuria

jujubeat

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone!!! First time poster here ^__^
I have a female budgie named Juju and she is the absolute love of my life! I wanted to come on here and introduce myself and hopefully get acquainted with my fellow fid lovers.
I also wanted to talk about Juju's recent medical history and hopefully receive some insight as to what is going on here.

So for at least 6 months, she has been having consistent polyuria. Besides eating a wet leafy green, she will consistently drink copious amounts of water (at least 7 sips per drinking) and have frequent droppings of mostly water or formed fecal + a huge ring of water.
very vet fecal.jpg
**VERY WET FECAL - this happens often/everyday**
She also has normal fecal droppings shown here:
normal fecal.jpg
Otherwise, she is her happy, loud, and very playful self. I wanted to get to the bottom of her dropping problem so I brought her to the avian veterinarian last Wednesday and we performed various diagnostic tests.

She came back negative for Avian Gastric Yeast (PCR test), negative for parasites and bacteria in her 2 fecal tests. We also did a VetScan and that showed normal kidney and liver function. She has done a CBC test (in March when she had multiple vitamin deficiencies and potentially an infection which was resolved with a trial of antibiotics).

Has anyone else dealt with a case of polyuria in their parrots? Please share your insights and I'll keep everyone updated after her next visit to perform more diagnostic tests.

jujubb.jpg
Say Hi to Juju! ^_^

Thank you for reading everyone

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi! I have a male budgie named Juju (Jujube)! :)

He has recently suffered from polyuria off and on after a course of antibiotics. I had worked hard to convert both my budgie boys from a nearly all seed diet to chop and pellets. Well, turns out that budgies need seed (~30%) in their diet. Once I reintroduced seed, the watery droppings have disappeared!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful little hen, btw!! And her Neres looks quite dark. Is she hormonal at the moment?

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
:welcomeflag: Welcome to the Avenue!

Juju is really adorable! Glad to see she is doing well. I'm not an expert in sicknesses or infections, but my cockatiel Ember had a small yeast infection in her crop a couple of months ago.

jujubeat

Meeting neighbors
Beautiful little hen, btw!! And her Neres looks quite dark. Is she hormonal at the moment?
Thank you! Love the name btw (Jujube) I call her Juju BB (baby) often haha! Yeah she is quite hormonal since her cere has been deep brown for a long time...
I had her on seeds and pellets, and as of lately for three days JUST pellets (as per my avian vet...) and no changes :sour:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am certainly not going to contradict your vet! I know that hormones can make a difference in droppings. I've only ever had my two boys, so I have no experience in that area with a hen. My vet had my add seed back in because apparently, it can be hard a the kidneys of a granivore to be without seed. The budgie boys get a chop of veggies, sprouts, legumes in the mornings, and some treats during the day, and then pellet and seed in the evenings.
@Ripshod @Mybluebird

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Goldie had a bump to the rump when he was younger. Since that moment he's drinking a lot of water too. The vet said other than bruising he had no injuries. He still drinks loads now, about 4 months later. It doesn't really cause any problems other than a little extra work for the kidneys and a little extra mess for the humans to clean up. Seems after a while it just becomes a habit. I would never withhold water so I just accept it.

jujubeat

Meeting neighbors
Goldie had a bump to the rump when he was younger. Since that moment he's drinking a lot of water too. The vet said other than bruising he had no injuries. He still drinks loads now, about 4 months later. It doesn't really cause any problems other than a little extra work for the kidneys and a little extra mess for the humans to clean up. Seems after a while it just becomes a habit. I would never withhold water so I just accept it.
What does it mean a "bump to the rump" What happened?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
He just misjudged a landing and hit his vent area on the perch. Nothing serious, just a bump.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Has she been tested for diabetes? Polyuria and Polydipsia are symptoms of diabetes in human and bird but you may already know this.

jujubeat

Meeting neighbors
Has she been tested for diabetes? Polyuria and Polydipsia are symptoms of diabetes in human and bird but you may already know this.
Yes I was researching this and talked to my vet about this. It seems very uncommon so they're trying to test for more common/easier to treat diseases. But I definitely want to look into diabetes too.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It could just be kidney issues. People & rabbits drink too much if they have kidney issues. A vet would know.