• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering Ringneck Dove

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
My bunny passed last summer. Im thinking of getting another pet. I’ve had birds (parrots) b4...when I was young. They require so much attention to be happy plus they have noise issues that arnt great for apts.

I know doves and parrots are very diff...including intelligence. I luv the wild doves in my area and have recently learned of domesticated doves. I live alone and work so selecting the right companion pet is very important. I’d like a solo dove that will sit on my shoulder and enjoy petting.

I welcome any information that u can share bout ringnecks as companion pets. Thx in advance.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss. If you wish, @Birdbabe has quite a few threads about her pet dove.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have never had a dove but was supposed to foster two diamond doves but they got adopted before I could pick them up. But in preparation, I had done quite a bit of research. I know they're different from a ring neck but I think they have some similarities. They are supposed to be gentle, and of course, coo, instead of scream like a parrot. So they do make good apartment birds and I believe they can make lovely pets. Not sure about one sitting on your shoulder though. Perhaps on your lap?

@Birdbabe ?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Doves are special little birds, quiet, non destructive, loving..mine sits in my lap, on my head, shoulder, pecks my toes,..haha, it dosent hurt.I dont know how access threads on here about my doves...they eat broccoli florets Zupreem fruit pellets, cockatiel mix, scrambled eggs occasionally, cornbread as a treat..they really do make good companions.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Doves are special little birds, quiet, non destructive, loving..mine sits in my lap, on my head, shoulder, pecks my toes,..haha, it dosent hurt.I dont know how access threads on here about my doves...they eat broccoli florets Zupreem fruit pellets, cockatiel mix, scrambled eggs occasionally, cornbread as a treat..they really do make good companions.
Thx for the response.

From what I’m reading online, hand raising is the way to go for a very tame bird. I don’t want a baby where there is a risk of it not thriving. What’s the ideal age for homing? I read in a cpl places its 3 weeks.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Not sure, 2 of mine were adults and the other was about 3or4 months old.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
The online articles say ringnecks are very common but I cant find one altho I live in a lrg metro.

Actually two breeders r advertising. One is non-responsive. The other is selling at > 3x the norm.

After more research, I decided I want a female. The males are too vocal.

I’d wouldn’t mind a rescue if it was tame but I think most r avary birds.

Suggestions?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Did you want to leave the dove home alone ? It might be best to get a pair, especially if you are looking for a companion that fits with a busy work schedule.

Any bird will take work to maintain a human bond. Doves and pigeons are very food motivated and should become comfortable around you as long as you have the time and patience. Even if you bought a "tame" dove, you must spend time daily to work on the relationship or the bond can weaken.

Diamond doves are pretty cute. King pigeons are very lovely and sweet if you wanted a bird that was larger.

One thing I will point out is that 100% feral pigeons quickly learn to beg for food from people and will create bonds with people who regularly visit the park. Don't worry about tameness for now. It will come to a patient, caring and calm household.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck finding your dove. :) They are lovely and rewarding :heart2:

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
Did you want to leave the dove home alone ? It might be best to get a pair, especially if you are looking for a companion that fits with a busy work schedule.

Any bird will take work to maintain a human bond. Doves and pigeons are very food motivated and should become comfortable around you as long as you have the time and patience. Even if you bought a "tame" dove, you must spend time daily to work on the relationship or the bond can weaken.

Diamond doves are pretty cute. King pigeons are very lovely and sweet if you wanted a bird that was larger.

One thing I will point out is that 100% feral pigeons quickly learn to beg for food from people and will create bonds with people who regularly visit the park. Don't worry about tameness for now. It will come to a patient, caring and calm household.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck finding your dove. :) They are lovely and rewarding :heart2:
Thx.

Unfortunately she’ll be home alone while I’m at work. I’ll probably cage her on the patio when I’m at work so she can see the wild birds. When I’m home she’ll be free inside with me. I intend to take her with me places which is why its important thst she is tame and bonded, not just tolerable of humans.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I would caution placing a cage on a patio unsupervised for a day. There are lots of predators that could knock her over or even simply harass her.

If you want a single pet that can spent a lot of time alone, there might be a better fit. Cats are much better suited as a solo pet.

animalvr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dean
I saw ringnecks in a store today. First time seeing one in person. They were so pretty. I was afraid it would look fat and pigeonny. But they were very elegant looking. Smaller than I expected...little larger than a cockatiel.

Man they are tame for not being handfed! Was able pet one wo it trying to get away. So soft.

Would have bought her but am going on a trip next week. My preference is get one from a rescue or a reputable breeder but since those sources arnt available, I’ll buy one from the store when I get back from my trip. I’ll be a dove-daddy soon!

The BirdHouse

Sitting on the front steps
Ringneck doves make wonderful pets and can become very tame even if they aren't handfed. And they come in a wide variety of beautiful colors :)