• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering Rehoming One or Both of my Tiels

Devin

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Devin Wright
I want to do what is best for me and my birds, and that is why I am making this post. I have made other posts describing and looking for solutions to the problems I have been encountering with my cockatiels (Baby and Russet, both males), but the situation has become extremely stressful for me, and I am worried that every day an incident with aggression or other issues worsens my relationship with them. This occurs especially with Baby, who I purchased as a baby and had a very close relationship with before adopting Russet (who was previously owned and raised by someone else). They have been together for about 4 months now and are closely bonded and want nothing to do with anyone else. I am considering whether I should look to rehome only Russet, rehome both separately, or try to rehome both together. I would love to have the relationship with Baby that I had raising him without another cockatiel around, but I don't know if this will ever be possible. The combination of adopting another tiel and allowing him to be flighted for the first time has made him extremely independent of me, and he will act very aggressive towards me, something he had never done before adopting Russet. This makes me deeply upset, but if taking Russet away would only scare and hurt him, I would rather rehome them together or at least find him a new home with other tiels. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could share their experiences permanently separating male cockatiel pairs, as well as what you guys think is the right choice for me in this situation.

Devin

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Devin Wright
You say they are closely bonded. If they can't stay with you as a bonded pair I think it would only be right that they be able stay together in a new home.
Is there a general way to know if they are bonded? They preen each other and call each other when separated if they can hear each other, but they sleep fine in separate rooms at night and are fine in two cages in the same room.