• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering kakarikis

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Hi guys. If you know about Monaco and me (or don't) I would appreciate your opinion about adding kakarikis this spring. I found a local breeder who I can visit. I've been playing various bird sounds for Monaco, and these guys and finches seem to be interesting and /or ignored.... (Her favorite is an Amazon on ig.)

Anyway, I have a few books to read before I decide, and I value the opinions of everyone here.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
What species is Monaco? I saw some kakarikis at a bird expo for the first time this year. So cute!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
She's an ekkie. A very particular one!

They are very pretty, comical, and have great sounds. A few of them speak in their gravely-chirpy voices...very cute little guys.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Hi guys. If you know about Monaco and me (or don't) I would appreciate your opinion about adding kakarikis this spring. I found a local breeder who I can visit. I've been playing various bird sounds for Monaco, and these guys and finches seem to be interesting and /or ignored.... (Her favorite is an Amazon on ig.)

Anyway, I have a few books to read before I decide, and I value the opinions of everyone here.
Her favorite is @WallyLoopey 's amazon, Loopey. I think she's in love with him.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Oh Yeah, Kakarikis. Miss Riti can be cute and a real handful at times. She's not hand tamed, I found out that Kakarikis were brought in as avery bird and because they are to cute we are trying to make hand tamed pets of them. Riti will eat just about anything, and everything, you never seen such a little chow hound as her. Then there's the cage. the bigger the better...no bigger...NO I said BIGGER . Riti is very active and uses ever sq inch of her cage, 36"x24"x40", and Cheddars...and the whole birdroom.
She's not very loud at all. she has a call I call "The Kakariki Giggle" that sounds just like a child giggling.

I feed a stable diet of a really good seed mix, Safflower Gold, Roudybush Pellets and all the fresh and cooked food you can believe, she eats it all, Spaghetti noodles are a favorite, cooked without salt and I break it into small lengths before cooking. She uses a foot to eat with and loves Slivered Almonds, as a treat only, and looks like a kid with a candy bar holding it in her foot and chewing on the end.

I'd spend time at the breeders to see if one connects with you. I have heard males are more likely to tame down BUT I can't say if it's true or not.
Brecky on my beak.jpg Lookingbetter.jpg RitiontheTstand.jpg

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Oh she and Cheddar do get along...sometimes. Here they are perching on the chair back, I didn't "Stage" this they decided to perch there on their own.

I want to point out there's NO fussing OR fighting. They were being good...might need to haul them to the vet to see what's wrong. :p

Nofussingorfighting.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh she and Cheddar do get along...sometimes. Here they are perching on the chair back, I didn't "Stage" this they decided to perch there on their own.

I want to point out there's NO fussing OR fighting. They were being good...might need to haul them to the vet to see what's wrong. :p

View attachment 325671
What an adorable pear! :heart:

bartlett-pear-1269879.height-400.width-750.png

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
@Mark & Da Boyz should I be leaning towards two rather than a single?

Thank you for those pictures! So beautiful.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I only have one myself. Riti's getting better about hands but I have seen other Kakarikis that were hand tamed when they went home, no two birds are the same. My only worry about getting a pair would be they'd bond to each other and you'd just be the "Hired Help" to them.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I only have one myself. Riti's getting better about hands but I have seen other Kakarikis that were hand tamed when they went home, no two birds are the same. My only worry about getting a pair would be they'd bond to each other and you'd just be the "Hired Help" to them.
I'm pretty sure I'm monaco's endentured servant...

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Yeah... Crazy bird loves it when I play videos of him.
I’m shocked! LOL Loopey has an admirer! I didn’t even know you were on Instagram.. it’s hard to connect people. You’ll have to message me there!
On the topic, I love Kakarikis but don’t have any experience with them. I say visit the breeder and learn all you can!