• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering getting a second GCC

Haydenb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hayden Barr
Hi; I have a one-year-old GCC & I want to get another one when or shortly before I move out of my parent's house. The first reason is that I love birds & feel like I'd be comfortable taking care of two birds, the second is because my girlfriend and I will be moving out of my parent's house within a year once I finish college and I do not want her to be lonely when my girlfriend and I are at work. I know I can't keep them in the same cage at first & there are no guarantees that they'll even like each other. What are some pros & cons & things I should know about having two green cheeks?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have two cheekies they have been together for approx 11 months and get on together 95% of the time.
They both live in seperate cages however happily spend there out of cage time playing and preening each other.
When i got my second i observed a qt period during this time they both heard each other.
When i introduced them to each other they initially had seperate out of cage time for a couple of weeks before being allowed out together.
When feeding them initially i always gave my first bird her food before the new bird or she would get annoyed.
Plan for the worst them not getting along and having to have seperate out of cage time initially and be prepared to intervene if they are out together and become aggressive.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I started out as single GCC mom, and we did great. But I found my second GCC 10 years later and added her, both were DNA girls. They loved each other instantly. Spent 7 years mostly living in the same cage, but occasionally had to live side by side cages when issues came up.

Then my flock grew , and I say my burds are much happier with friends. ( currently all caged separate, but spend the day out together) But I've heard so many other struggles and unhappiness with more than one.

With later additions I took it very slow..after QT. I had cages on opposite sides of room. Tip, never allow a free bird to land on a caged birds cage. I would hang out with original birds next to new burd still in cage. And just give everyone treats. We did that lots till everyone thought it was no biggie. And I would hang out with new bird by the caged birds and give everyone treats. I did a lot of walking one burds over and say hi to a caged bird and treat. I payed lots of extra one on one time with original burds ( especially whomever seemed a little jealous.

When it seemed everyone excepted that a new burds was in the home. I kept moving the new burds cage closer to all my other cages but no closer than 4 feet at first.

I set up a meet and greet buffet in a neutral location. I use my breakfast bar , with a non slip towel on top. Set up several yummy food location spread out. Then I kept an envelope handy incase I needed to block any charges. I got each bird in a happy calm mood and placed them spread out at yummy food stations. I got the new burd and brought over also in a happy calm mood. And set it far away from the others st at a yummy food. If anyone acted up I pit them back in the cage and tried again later. Its very important to prevent s f fights or charges. I did this often till they could eat together as a flock. I allowed them to meet on their own terms when ready.

Some birds took years to form friendship. But knew to behave and give space. Some birds dislike each other but give space and behave. Even the birds thst dislike each other can all be on me at the same time. Because they know any misbehavior and the go back to the cage for a few minutes or I move them to one if the play stations. And they really want to be with me.

Well that was long, hope it was useful!

The people I know who things went south rushed it, put burd on the sane perch together. And had fights happen with first meeting. First impressions matter, and burd can hold grudges. But even mine with grudges could evolve older time with management and even becoming best buddies ( but took a year or two)

So at least for me the short answer is yes. Even burds thst don't get along seem to benefit from having another around. But I have others disappointment and stress in handling birds that hate each other.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
for example these two took 2 years to become friends. They used to try and beak spare and squak if they got close, or fly away from each other ( unless on me)
20220613_135400.jpg
Now very best buddies

I mostly give group love to all. My my longest in home GCC requires one on one mommy and me time every evening.