• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering becoming a lovebird parent

EleanorB

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Eleanor Barden
Hi, I have never had a bird before. I have had many pets in my lifetime but we currently have just a python. I am interested in purchasing a lovebird but I have some questions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
1.) I am a nurse, I work 3 x 13 hr shifts per week. Would this be too long to be away from my bird?
2.) how comfortable are these birds with being handled.
3.) Where's the best place to buy one (ethical sourcing).
4.) How noisy are they? I've heard conflicting things.

Thanks again!

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Welcome!!

@Zara has a beautiful flock and can probably answer most questions that even though I have a lovie as well, would not know how to answer as well as her. She is on the Europe side of the the pond so maybe a little while before she comes on...

my Kiwi, is a sweetheart but he was a sudden rehome and he was already completely tamed when we got him a year ago and if he had his choice, would be glued to us all day. he will be 2 on April 17th. He was just a year old when we got him. He never played shy in his new home and was sitting with us within minutes of coming in the door. I work all day but am in amd out while my husband is retired and is usually in the other room, but there is noise so not sure how he would take to being alone for a few hours, but with music or tv on and with toys and foraging toys and stimulating things to do I would think he would be ok.

they are fun and comical and an absolute joy to have. kiwi is my second lovie, as I had one years ago for 17 years before he passed. Totally different personality. Squeaky loved to sit with me but did not want to be touched until the last 5 years or so of his life. Then he only wanted to sit in my hand and sleep.

am sure others will have lots of info to share that will much more informative to you than my two cents worth but wanted to say hello all the same! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Elaeanor! :starshower1:

1.) I am a nurse, I work 3 x 13 hr shifts per week. Would this be too long to be away from my bird?
It is a long time but if it is just 3 days of the week you could do things to make it more managable for your bird. A large amplious cage to fly around in. Plenty of toys to play with, maybe even adding/swapping out a toy on those long shift days. Including foraging activities, again, especially on those long shift days.
Alternatively you could get a pair of birds to keep each other company.

2.) how comfortable are these birds with being handled.
Hard to say. If you brought home a bird from a shelter or rehome ad then you would know what they like and if they like snuggles or scritches. A handraised bird from a good breeder will enjoy your company and likely fly to you and hang around you, but there´s no guarantee on scritches. I have 6 hand raised birds, they all love being around me but only one likes scritches, and they only started accepting them after a few years.
In general, a handraised bird will be ok with hands and stepping up etc. and this is something you would know about a rescue/rehome bird before bringing them home.

3.) Where's the best place to buy one (ethical sourcing).
In order:
A rescue/shelter.
Craigslist/other buy, sell sites.
If that is not an option, search for a good breeder. Someone who allows the birds to be parent raised half way, then hand feeding and interacting with them for the rest.
Failing that, see if there is a little independant bird shop near you to help you find a bird.

4.) How noisy are they? I've heard conflicting things.
There are lots of answers.
When I just had one bird, he was almost silent all the time, he still is.
Some of my birds are noisier than others. Their call can be quite shrill.
Here is a video. A young lady made it so people could play it if we lose our lovebirds, but you can hear their sounds pretty well :)

EleanorB

Real Name
Eleanor Barden
Thank you! This is very helpful I've also heard that keeping the TV on helps them?

EleanorB

Real Name
Eleanor Barden
Thank you for the info!! I think I'm gonna end up getting one.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've also heard that keeping the TV on helps them?
All birds are different. Some enjoy TV some don´t.
@DoubleTake ´s lovebird enjoys listening to backstreet boys, mine prefer megadeath.
It´s very interesting how the same species can be so different.

Something I should have said before. There are a few different species of lovebirds. There are 7 but the most common ones as companions are Roseicollis, Fischeri and Personatus.
My birds are all Roseicollis, so is Birdie Mamas bird. Stereotypically they are more laid back and friendly (although I´m sure some of my girls didn´t get that memo :cautious: ) .
Fischeri and Personatus are both eye-ring type lovebirds and are a little smaller and tend to be a little more nippy. Again, it is all down to the individual.
(The video I posted are Personatus lovebirds, @Leih has a hen of this species).

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
All birds are different. Some enjoy TV some don´t.
@DoubleTake ´s lovebird enjoys listening to backstreet boys, mine prefer megadeath.
It´s very interesting how the same species can be so different.

Something I should have said before. There are a few different species of lovebirds. There are 7 but the most common ones as companions are Roseicollis, Fischeri and Personatus.
My birds are all Roseicollis, so is Birdie Mamas bird. Stereotypically they are more laid back and friendly (although I´m sure some of my girls didn´t get that memo :cautious: ) .
Fischeri and Personatus are both eye-ring type lovebirds and are a little smaller and tend to be a little more nippy. Again, it is all down to the individual.
(The video I posted are Personatus lovebirds, @Leih has a hen of this species).
The boys pay attention to Judge Judy, think they like her yelling at people.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My lovebird is a little sassy pants. She loves to hang out with me and doesn't have any issues being handled. She does tend to be a bit nippy. Some of her nippiness seems to me like she's preening me but doesn't realize that I don't like it. She'll pick at the freckles on my hands. She chatters all day. She was 5 months old when I got her and completely terrified of people, but with lots of patience and work she got over it. She is really hilarious, definitely a huge personality. :)