• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering a Kakariki

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
I've been researching birds a lot as I impatiently wait for a cockatiel to come home (my previous pick was taken back by the breeder for an eye infection). I'm considering bringing home a fourth small bird within the next year, but that depends mainly on how my budgies get along with my new cockatiel and how I find myself managing with the added clean-up time. I have been thinking that the best choice would be a Green Cheek Conure, but now I'm looking into a Kakariki--similar playfulness, but supposedly not known to be aggressive toward other birds, unless they are defending a nest. (There were traditionally few natural predators in New Zealand, so it makes sense that they are quite gentle.) I thought one might make a better addition to my flock, especially alongside a docile cockatiel. They're starting to grow on me. A bird store in my area sells them, so I'm thinking I'll visit them next weekend and see how I like them in person. I just wanted to share my excitement about this tentative decision. :) Pictured below for those who are unacquainted with this species.

I was also considering a Port Lincoln Parrot (Australian Ringneck), but then realized how exceedingly rare they are. It looks like a store near me might have sold them in the past, but I currently can't find any breeders in the U.S., so I don't want to get my heart set on one.

kakariki2.jpeg port lincoln1.jpeg

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
Bump

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
@aqualover9 Thanks for the bump. It's okay, I think less people are online for the holiday weekend.

I realized another pro of the Kakariki though: it's an Old World bird, whereas a Green Cheek is a New World bird, so it hopefully won't be as affected by the dust of my cockatiel and budgies as a conure would. (Also a pro of the Port Lincoln parrot.)

simon777

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
I just checked up on the Kakariki. Conservation status - near threatened, population declining.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
They are beautiful little birds!!! I can see why you'd like to adopt them!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes they are great. :)
They are easy to tame because they are so curious. They loves to bath but are very messy eaters. Everything they don't want they throw on the floor.
But should always be kept in pairs. To have just one will make them very sad. They are not less tame if they are two so that is nothing to worry about.
But they are not cuddly birds if that was what you wanted?

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
I just checked up on the Kakariki. Conservation status - near threatened, population declining.
Importing them is illegal. We have birds in the US that have been bred in captivity. They may be more endangered due to the introduction of cats than humans from what I've read. Many New Zealand species became endangered because there were no predators on the islands until they were introduced.

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
Yes they are great. :)
They are easy to tame because they are so curious. They loves to bath but are very messy eaters. Everything they don't want they throw on the floor.
But should always be kept in pairs. To have just one will make them very sad. They are not less tame if they are two so that is nothing to worry about.
But they are not cuddly birds if that was what you wanted?
I was reading about the messiness, so I think I'd just plan to feed everything on the floor of their cage. Huh, I read that they are not usually found in big flocks, but live solitary or in pairs, but I can see how they would grow bored alone. I think housing them in the same room with a cockatiel and budgies would be fine. I've heard they can be quite affectionate and social if not too cuddly, but maybe no less cuddly than a budgie? I'll have a hand-raised cockatiel for a fairly cuddly bird, so I think that's okay. I would like an affectionate bird. As far as a small-sized Old World apartment-friendly parrot, I think my options are limited at the moment. I'm not sure whether I would want two cockatiels at once, so just exploring other cockatiel companion options for the future.

They are beautiful little birds!!! I can see why you'd like to adopt them!
Yes, they are very interesting-looking birds. We'll see how I connect with them in person. :)

simon777

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
The biggest problem is that when there is a demand for species that are illegal to import or export, then they begin to get caught in the wild and smuggled into countries where they can be sold. This of cause leads to a greater decline of the population in the native country. This happens with many species of bird because they are small and easy to hide.

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
The biggest problem is that when there is a demand for species that are illegal to import or export, then they begin to get caught in the wild and smuggled into countries where they can be sold. This of cause leads to a greater decline of the population in the native country. This happens with many species of bird because they are small and easy to hide.
If the bird was that rare in the U.S., I would want feel bad owning it unless I was a breeder, but it is established here if still lesser known. It's been more common in aviaries until recently from what I understand. You could say this for a lot of pet bird species unfortunately. Someone just posted an article which included the fact that they are more feral Red-Crowned Amazons in Southern California than there are in their native Mexico. I see what you're saying though, it is something to consider with endangered species.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Mark & Da Boyz Has one in his flock. I hope he will share his experience.

We can find them easily in Australia. I have no idea about how it is in the States. I met one before, very cheery and curious little bird. :)

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I have a Kakraiki in my flock, Riti. I had only seen photos in books of them in books and after Streak, my Parrotlet died, I was at the bird store and saw the Kakariki. I bought one because I thought she'd be a neat little bird to have. She is too just not like I thought she'd be. First of all food, if it doesn't eat her she eats it, why she doesn't weight 60 POUNDS and not grams I don't know. Or she tosses what she doesn't like to find what she does so yes she can be very messy at times. Food a good seed mix pellets and lot and LOTS of fresh food. I make "Chop" and she gets a small bowl twice a day.

Baths yes she love them and the first time I saw her taking a bath I thought she'd drowned as she was under water. She not a hand bird though she will sit on my head or shoulder and climb in my lap but it's her decision if and when. She has to know everything about everything and is always looking to get into small places to find a nesting spot. That can be a bad thing though as she "Turned On" last year and started laying nonstop, about 10-12 eggs and then stopped BUT only because she was egg bound. Being my first female bird I tried everything I had read and was told to do to no avail so we ended up at the vet where she was kept for three days until they removed the egg, not cheap but saved her. I have been a lot more aware of this and have done everything I can to make her just uncomfortable not to feel safe enough to start laying again but not so much as to stress her out.

I can't say you need two of them as Riti seems happy as things are here but I have 3 Teils and a GCC for her to interact with. She can get a bit "In Your Face" at time with the Tiels and they don't like that, I don't think she trying to hurt them just wants to be friend maybe a bit too much. I have to watch Cheddar as he wants to be "Very Friendly" if you get my drift, not that there would be chicks.

One thing everyone loves is her cute little calls not harsh at all. One I call the "Kakariki Giggle" She does have a very large cage 36"x24"x35" with 1/2" bar spacing and she uses every inch of it. Kakariki are very active to say the least, always on the go and one speed only "Full Ahead Frantic". I a lot of ways she acts like a Finch with her sudden movements and seems to spend as much time on the floor forging.

But she's a sweet little thing and I enjoy her being here.

As you can see she's either eating or bathing!
Brecky on my beak.jpg eatingasnormal.jpg Soaking_Wet.jpg

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
I have a Kakraiki in my flock, Riti. I had only seen photos in books of them in books and after Streak, my Parrotlet died, I was at the bird store and saw the Kakariki. I bought one because I thought she'd be a neat little bird to have. She is too just not like I thought she'd be. First of all food, if it doesn't eat her she eats it, why she doesn't weight 60 POUNDS and not grams I don't know. Or she tosses what she doesn't like to find what she does so yes she can be very messy at times. Food a good seed mix pellets and lot and LOTS of fresh food. I make "Chop" and she gets a small bowl twice a day.

Baths yes she love them and the first time I saw her taking a bath I thought she'd drowned as she was under water. She not a hand bird though she will sit on my head or shoulder and climb in my lap but it's her decision if and when. She has to know everything about everything and is always looking to get into small places to find a nesting spot. That can be a bad thing though as she "Turned On" last year and started laying nonstop, about 10-12 eggs and then stopped BUT only because she was egg bound. Being my first female bird I tried everything I had read and was told to do to no avail so we ended up at the vet where she was kept for three days until they removed the egg, not cheap but saved her. I have been a lot more aware of this and have done everything I can to make her just uncomfortable not to feel safe enough to start laying again but not so much as to stress her out.

I can't say you need two of them as Riti seems happy as things are here but I have 3 Teils and a GCC for her to interact with. She can get a bit "In Your Face" at time with the Tiels and they don't like that, I don't think she trying to hurt them just wants to be friend maybe a bit too much. I have to watch Cheddar as he wants to be "Very Friendly" if you get my drift, not that there would be chicks.

One thing everyone loves is her cute little calls not harsh at all. One I call the "Kakariki Giggle" She does have a very large cage 36"x24"x35" with 1/2" bar spacing and she uses every inch of it. Kakariki are very active to say the least, always on the go and one speed only "Full Ahead Frantic". I a lot of ways she acts like a Finch with her sudden movements and seems to spend as much time on the floor forging.

But she's a sweet little thing and I enjoy her being here.

As you can see she's either eating or bathing!
Thanks for all the great info, Mark! Good to know she's not aggressive toward your other birds, even if she's a little "in your face." I have a bird room, so my hope is that I could let the Kakariki out unsupervised all day if they prove to get along well. That way, he/she could fly and jump around to their heart's content!

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
A bird store in my are has a lutino in stock. I'm just going to take a ride over now to check it out before in person before I do anymore researching! :)

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
You have a birdroom? Is it Bird Proof? Yes? Think again. you'll need to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Riti can find a way to get into things that I didn't think she could get into.

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
You have a birdroom? Is it Bird Proof? Yes? Think again. you'll need to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Riti can find a way to get into things that I didn't think she could get into.
Lol I was wondering about that. My budgies tend to confine themselves to one area and don't really get into much, but I may need to make some accommodations for other species.

I visited the lutino. Of course she had just taken a bath before I came! Maybe I'll come back another time, so I can get a real sense of her normal appearance, but she was still very cute. She was bigger in size than I expected, like a chubby Green Cheek, which isn't a bad thing.

She was quite timid, but looked curious. She wasn't as flighty as say, a skittish budgie. It seemed like I could work with her. The worker said she used to be more tame, but she hadn't been handled in a while. I didn't ask how old she was, but it seemed like she was in need of a beak trim.

So I'm definitely interested in getting a Kakariki for my next bird, but I plan on waiting at least a few months. I'll keep them on my radar. Thanks for all the input!

43288931-4B0A-40B7-A9BF-452639AF017F.jpeg