• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Consensus on Pi Lifespan?

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi Everyone -

Do we have consensus on Pi lifespan? I've been doing a little reading and it sounds like opinions vary widely - I guess since Pi's haven't been kept in captivity for that long. When we got our now 10 yo bluehead, the store owner told us they can live to be 40 - as in, we should expect her to live that long assuming nothing untoward happens. Now that I'm reading up on it more, it seems like 40 is the extreme end of lifespan; most Pi live to early 20s. What's your guys' experience? Do we have any Pi's here that died of old age?

Unrelated, but please keep our Zephyr in your thoughts... we took her to the vet for her chronic sneezing and bloodwork came back with elevated white blood cells :sad1: so starting her on some antibiotics and antifungals Monday. Desperately hoping that clears up whatever's going on for her!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sending positive healing thoughts Zephyr´s way ❤

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
All my best wishes for Zephyr.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
My best wishes to Zephyr as well. :heart2:

When I got my maxi, Rowan, I'd read their life expectancy was ~30 years. Shortly after I brought him home, someone told me that estimate was wildly off and that pionus could only live 10-15 years, but I don't know what sources they had backing them up.

That was ten years ago, and aside from a brief issue with his eye, he's never had any health problems. Knock on wood...

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Best wishes to Zephyr!

Leia's still very young at four years old. From what I've read in Pionus facebook groups, 25-30 seems to be a reasonable expectation for lifespan.

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hey everyone! Thanks for the well wishes. She seems to be in good spirits... eating happily and climbing around looking for scritches. We'll see how she responds to the meds.

I'm glad to hear 25-30, and that your older Pi's are doing well! I was getting worried it might be a lot lower. We'd plan on having her in the family a long time!

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Yes, from what ive read (and ive done tons) is up to 30 years in good health :)