• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Connie Photos

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Connie’s adorable :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Please post on your own accounts as to not confuse the board. :reading: :what:

Love the photographs of Connie, she´s beautiful :) I recommend a harness (or cage) to enjoy the outdoors in a safer way.

AmberC

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber
Please post on your own accounts as to not confuse the board. :reading: :what:

Love the photographs of Connie, she´s beautiful :) I recommend a harness (or cage) to enjoy the outdoors in a safer way.
She is getting a harness soon as her flight feathers are growing back.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
She is getting a harness soon as her flight feathers are growing back.
Just letting you know so that you have all the information before it is too late........ we have more members come here asking for help because their clipped bird flew away than we have members coming here looking for help for their escaped fully flighted bird. Birds can still fly with a clip (some really really well) especially if they catch a good breeze and are fit and healthy. Better to always be safe than sorry when your choices directly impact the life of an innocent unknowing creature- in other words..... do not take unnecessary chances.

ConnieBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elena
She’s fully flighted and is trained to come back, thanks for all the advice though. I love my birds but Connie especially hates the harness so I’m not going to stress her out .

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She’s fully flighted and is trained to come back, thanks for all the advice though. I love my birds but Connie especially hates the harness so I’m not going to stress her out .
I trained my lovebird Sydney to wear a harness because he was my only bird without a partner, and I took him out with me for little hikes.
Later when I had Adelie, and she took 6 months to wean, I wanted to take her out for some sunshine but she wouldn´t take to the harness. Eventually I gave up trying to train her with it as she was just getting stressed or angry. So she had to enjoy the outdoors from inside a little cage.
I think it´s likely she would have never flown away because we have such a strong bond, but it is because we have such a strong bond and I love her soooo much that I would never, ever take that chance. I would hate myself if she spooked and I lost her.

I received a phonecall one day. My friend who I gifted two birds to had pushed the cage outside for some sunshine, but the door must not have been closed properly (easy mistake to make), after a short while she went to check on the birds and they were gone. She called me up crying, completely heartbroken. My heart broke not only for the birds out lost, but for her because she loved those birds so much and was suffering and hurting. I would never want anyone to have to go through that.

Could you imagine if your bird got spooked by something while you are outside? And she took off? And you never saw her again? Would that not just devastate you and leave you heartbroken? Having to wonder for the rest of you life, Where is she? Is she safe? Does someone have her? If they do, are htey caring for her? Or do they have her caged in a tiny cage? Is she dead? Did she get eaten by predators? Did she suffer? Is she suffering?

I really do hope you will listen the advice of the board. So many members here have had accidents (and most did not purposely take their birds outdoors with no harness/cage) and lost birds and are living with never knowing what happened to their birds that they loved so dearly.
My heart breaks for all those people. I could not imagine having to deal with something like that.

Please don´t add yourself to that list of the people searching for answers but never knowing :(

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
A tiny green cheek conure is not a good candidate for freeflight. I'm sorry, but it's not. It's too easy to lose sight of them, and they're at a much greater risk of being picked off by a predator, especially a single bird. Most freeflight pros fly multiple birds at once for a reason... more eyes to watch the sky and sound the alarm.

This is Rowan.

He's recall trained.

Outside too. He's very good. Listens well.

I'd have lost him at least three times over if he didn't wear a harness. His training may work 99% of the time, but it's not infallible. I was walking around the block with him once, a very familiar stomping ground, and turned the corner to find there was a deer. It spooked him terribly and none of my calls had any effect. In his fright he flew fast and strong enough to pull the entire retractable leash I had his harness on out of its coil. That could have been it, and that was just one of several similar situations. I simply would not have Rowan any more if I relied on our bond and his training alone.

This is Zyda. She and I are thick as thieves.

I would love to be able to take her outside. She would greatly enjoy the experience and probably wouldn't even leave my shoulder. But you know what? She absolutely 100% will not wear a harness, no way no how. Been there, tried that. So her exposure to the outdoors has been and will always be with bars between her and a fatal escape. Her life is worth a whole lot more than "lol, look how bonded my bird is to me."

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Most of the other birds were rescues and died of old age and some that are still living are living with my aunt in America so don’t wary they are fine and very much loved ❤
How can these birds you said were yours be living in America? Am I missing something??